Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which rulers do you  use the most? >

Which rulers do you use the most?

Which rulers do you use the most?

Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM

I love my 6.5 by 24 Creativegrid ruler. I have had it for 10+ years. I used my others but this one i used majority of the time.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by munchkinmama
Olfa mats are great but they are very heat sensitive. Even riding in the back of my van for a short trip to quilting class can put a kink in it. I have had to replace two for those reasons. I am not sure how you could take it home (unless your get a small one) with out it losing it's shape.
Over the years we've acquired quite a few suitcases which are pretty large. I'll check out one to see if one has measurements big enough to fit a 25x37 mat in it. I think we do.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
have fun on your visit and I hope you get some more great quilting supplies

I like the small cutting mat that turns for paper piecing and small projects. and here is link to show you, I got mine at Joann's fabric store

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd29158
I have two 36' Olfa mats on a long folding table and never really understood what those designs were. Duh!! Poor me.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 AM

The best JoAnn store in the Phoenix area is in Scottsdale. It's huge with all kinds of crafts, but a very big quilt section in the rear center of the store. It's just off the 101 Freeway, I think it's the Indian Bend exit, but you can see the back of it and it's sign from the freeway. I haven't been to any LQSs in PHX, but I'm sure someone here can recommend some.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 AM

I seem to use the 6.5 x 24 and 4 x 24 the most. My olfa mat I have had a long time and it is self-healing. I also use the June Taylor Shape Cut ruler. It makes it much easier to cut multiple strips and keep them accurate.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 AM

The ruler that I have worn out several times is the 6.5 x 13 Easy Rule by Sharon Hultgren. I love it and use it for almost everything. I have all the others, but this is by far my favorite. I need to find a new source to buy it as Walmart's have quit carrying it. I don't like the yellow ruled rulers as I can't see.

For the mat, buy the best you can and don't expect it to last forever. These also can be used up, but you can turn it and use it a very long time. I have several sizes of mats, but use the one on my cutting table the most. This time it is the blue one. In the past I had a June Tailor Green mat that lasted for several years.

Hope all this information helps make your decision easier. Just get what you want and use it. It will become your favorite.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM

i use my 6.5 x 24 ruler and my 12.5 square ruler the most. i also have a shape cut that i like too but don't use as often. i have tried several mats and seem to keep coming back to my olfa mat that is the 24 x 36 size (or close to there) the most. don't forget to stop by harbor freight for those extra cutting blades!

where in az are you going to be? i have traveled around az a lot to local quilt stores and live in the mesa area so i could give you the scoop on some of the better stores if you'd like. :) enjoy your trip!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
The best JoAnn store in the Phoenix area is in Scottsdale. It's huge with all kinds of crafts, but a very big quilt section in the rear center of the store. It's just off the 101 Freeway, I think it's the Indian Bend exit, but you can see the back of it and it's sign from the freeway. I haven't been to any LQSs in PHX, but I'm sure someone here can recommend some.
We'll be in Chandler. Just come and go from the airport in PHX.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by distar2

where in az are you going to be? i have traveled around az a lot to local quilt stores and live in the mesa area so i could give you the scoop on some of the better stores if you'd like. :) enjoy your trip!
Your Śaver's are the best! (or is it Value Village--think it's Savers)
Old 07-23-2011, 11:47 AM

I have had the Fiskars mat for 25 years. No gashes/slices. Have had a large Olaf mat about 5 years. When buying one do give it the sniff test to see if there is a strong chemical odor.
You might have a family member (near where you would shop) check Joann.com for email coupons or watch their Sunday paper for the sale flyer with coupons. Wishing you safe travel and a good visit with your family.