Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's so great about BOM??? >

What's so great about BOM???

What's so great about BOM???

Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM

I love BOM.I have done the $5.00 quilt where you pay $5.00 the first time and bring it back next month and get that 1 free.Did 3 quilt tops that way,unfortunatly that shop closed.So now I do them online but use fabric from my own stash as I have enough for 2 lifetimes.Right now doing Nancy Rinks Ode to the Blue and Grey,also Florida Cabin Fever Black and white.The patterns are free.Of course I like mysteries.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 PM

I have a bunch of BOM's but alas they are still in the baggies they came in. hahaha
Old 07-24-2011, 05:23 AM

i love boms. it is a cheaper (?) way for me to do a quilt as i pay for it little by little. it is easier for me i don't get overwhelmed. i love the ones I am doing. i just finished a star one with grandmas attic which I love buying things from cause she always has little extras with your order. I can get it done little by little. The colors are great. I am currently doing 2 now which I really like. try it you might like it.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 PM

great way for a beginner to learn confidence

Rolling Along ... Marti Mitchell ... also did blocks in brights, finish block each month & get the bright block free (2 blocks for $5)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231356[/ATTACH]

Stitcher's Garden BOM ... great way to learn technique & I am FMQ on my machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231358[/ATTACH]

Rose of Remembrance BOM LQS has it digitized, still very challenging on embroidery machine. Have done 4 blocks, must redo first one :(
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231360[/ATTACH]

Back to Nature BOM I need to add completed flying geese & borders ... one of blocks has 75 peices ... not boring
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231365[/ATTACH]

Rolling Along in BRIGHTS ... one block ... have material to complete & a recipient in mind
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231367[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231350.jpe
Views:	32
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	231356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231352.jpe
Views:	22
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	231358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231354.jpe
Views:	31
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	231360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231359.jpe
Views:	31
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	231365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231361.jpe
Views:	30
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	231367  

Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
It really just depends on the BOM that you do. I have done one that was $2 a month and there are some that you can do online for free... and then there are some that are more costly. I have done them both ways. it's a good way to get used to different techniques and different blocks. Plus it gives you a dead line to have each block finished.
I wonder how to find one online for free? I began reading here and thought I had never done one. Then I remembered I bought a flag of the month which came in the mail and occasionally had a candy or some nice surprise. The owner was so nice, I really want to go the distance to find her shop again. But, I never made a one of them. I think they would be nice expanded into quilt squares. The flags are darling, just not high on my list of things to do. If I found a bom on line free I'd be tickled pink. I like to choose fabric because it is a chance to be original and personal. Also, being kind of a Monk detective type (it's a blessing.... and a curse) why is it called BOM and not BOTM block of THE month. I associate bom with "This is ruined. I bombed." Wording does this to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldcottontop
Not all BOM are through a LQS. I currently am doing a BOM with an on-line quilt magazine (http://quiltpatternmagazine.com/). We started in January and were given approimate amounts of fabric in 5 different colors of our choosing. I have attempted to attach a copy of mine so far.
Verrrry nice! It will be lovely when you complete it.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
I just don't get the Block of the Month - it seems to cost more than if you purchased the fabric yourself, it takes way too long to finish a project, and you don't get another block until you finish the previous one??? What exactly is so enticing about it?
yep...that is why I will be a year behind...just send me the blocks/patterns and I will do them all at once!
Would that make it a BOY ...block of the year?:)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah
Most BOMs are fairly complicated, some involved making more than one block in a month. The one I did last year and the one I'm working on this year requires 4 blocks to be made almost every month. Because they're not simple blocks it's nice to make them and set them aside and go on to another project. If I had to make the entire quilt in one long stretch I would not do it, it would drive me to the brink of madness. The kits may be a little pricey but it would cost as much if I had to find my own fabric because not everything I buy for a project gets used in that project and I go buy another piece that might work better. My stash is big enough, don't need to put more in it. You don't have to finish a block before getting the next one. You can stack the monthly kits up and do them years from now (or never). It's my
way of completing something more involved while making others that are quicker and easier. I quilted the two attached by myself on my domestic machine.
Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
I just don't get the Block of the Month - it seems to cost more than if you purchased the fabric yourself, it takes way too long to finish a project, and you don't get another block until you finish the previous one??? What exactly is so enticing about it?
A real eye popper! Stars are a favorite of mine. Color combinations are attractive. Be proud!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Marye
I am home bound and the closest fabric shop is 65 miles away. So for me the Bom from the online stores are blessing.
People put down the electronic age but it is a God send for so many people. A decade ago articles were being written about how people were not connecting with one another as neighbors use to do. Women working, men with two jobs. Well I think God decided to help us by sending these electronic devices that help us communicate and be neighborly, and for some like you get what is needed when it would be otherwise impossible. When I read what you posted it brought a tear to my eye. Through this machine I can say hello and I wish you well.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 PM

i'm doing the thangles buck a block @ a local quilt shop... it is a chance for me & a girl i work with to have a good time 1 nite a month ... leave work, go to lqs.. p/u the buck a block ( & whatever else) have a nice dinner & home by 800 830.. i love it.