Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarters - new size? >

fat quarters - new size?

fat quarters - new size?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:39 AM

Our LQS just went out of business last week. Fat quarters were $1.00 last time I bought them, a week before they closed. I got the most beautiful yardage for $4.98 a yard. I didn't dare go the last week and now I'm glad I got WHAT I did WHEN I did. It is top quality Moda, my favorite.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 AM

I agree. Have never bought a fat quarter, but notice more LQSs are cutting a yd at barely 36".I take my business somewhere else....but like you say,it might soon be SOP everywhere.

Originally Posted by 0tis
What scares me is pretty soon a yard will be 34" or 35" not 36 - and the price will go up not down..
Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
F Q's for $1.24 and $1.99? Holy cow -ours here are $2.79 and have been for quite some time.
Well, today I paid $6 each for 5 fat quarters. It's quite normal here in Australia.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 AM

They don't give us enough credit for being smart. Well, they don't give us ANY credit for being smart apparently. When we complain, we will get results. The fabric companies won't stay in business if we aren't happy. It is a privilege to have a business like that, not a necessity (oh hush my mouth). But seriously, we have to write letters and speak up. You can bet I will be writing to Jo-Ann's. It's as important to me as writing to my Senator (even though Chuck U Schummer never listens). I believe these manufacturer's will or they will lose a LOT of business.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by plainpat
I agree. Have never bought a fat quarter, but notice more LQSs are cutting a yd at barely 36".I take my business somewhere else....but like you say,it might soon be SOP everywhere.

Originally Posted by 0tis
What scares me is pretty soon a yard will be 34" or 35" not 36 - and the price will go up not down..
I doubt it will be SOP...too many lawsuits will ensue for sure as our standard of measurement is One Yard = 36". The label on the fabric says Per YARD...so they MUST sell you 36" or adjust the price...it is up to WE the consumers to keep our eyes open and make the seller aware that we are paying attention and will NOT be screwed over by the slight of hand!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 AM

I work at a quality quilt shop and we cut our FQ 18.25 by 21 or 22 depending on the WOF. We cut just a little bit wider on the 18 inch side to make sure the customer gets 18. Take the FQ back if it is short. I know we would take them back and do an exchange.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 AM

I usually don't buy fat quarters for this reason, unless I see something I must have and can't find it in yardage.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 AM

I suppose the fabric makers are making their bolts a little narrower. I went into JC Penney yesterday- in the clothing department - can we say POLYESTER !!! Most all the shirts and tops are now a poly blend......cotton is going to be scarce in clothing I am thinking. And you will see the price of jeans go sky high.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by cjsparks
If you watch at Joann's and some of the other big box stores, they cut at the amount you request. But how do youu know that the first edge is square...generally not. I have purchased fabric at several different lqs and they will add just a little for this reason. They want their customers to be satisfied and know there is nothing worse than to be a little short of fabric.
I just had this very conversation w/ the cutting gal @ Joanns the other day. I noticed when she got ready to cut the one end was all messed up, I requested that it be squared up first, she did so but if you don't say anything you end up paying for a piece that's unusable-at least for me because I don't have the patience's for those tiny strips.
Yes I learned the hard way fat quarters aren't really fat quarters..
Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluehouse
I suppose the fabric makers are making their bolts a little narrower. I went into JC Penney yesterday- in the clothing department - can we say POLYESTER !!! Most all the shirts and tops are now a poly blend......cotton is going to be scarce in clothing I am thinking. And you will see the price of jeans go sky high.
Tell me..I bought two Tee shirts yesterday...found out they are both 100% poly...they are going back...I like Cotton tees...they need to breathe! As for jeans..it is a good thing they last for years...though I noticed the ones I saw are now mostly poly and stretchy...need to shop around for GOOD cotton denim jeans!