new to canning

Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 AM

I try to "can", but I don't use a pressure canner. I water bath anything that needs it. I have bought lots of books, but the best way I have ,learned is to talk to seasoned canners and gardeners. You know, the little older ladies just down the street. Now, I attempt anything...except the pressure canner.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on your new endeavor - it was always rewarding to me to see the jars all lined up knowing that I could eat the "fruits of my labor" all winter long. My advice is to get the Ball Canning Book, which I believe is still readily available. Also consult your pressure canner instructions, and their recommendations. Some vegetables only need a water bath, and others the pressure canner, so get the Ball book and you will be successful. I don't have a garden now, but when I did I enjoyed the process, as it brought back memories of home and my Mom canning for us. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 AM

definately a pressure canner - esp with meat!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Would advise that you take into account the size
of your stove top "burner". I find the smaller pressure
canner is not too heavy for my stove and when canning
I can still lift the full canner. Also use the canner for
cooking everyday foods, ie: navy beans.etc. Others
here may be able to give you some considerations as
to size. I have a electric water bath canner I use a lot.

Happy canning :thumbup:
Old 07-24-2011, 06:59 AM

www.ball.com I believe is the Ball canning internet address. I swear by the Ball Blue Book, we used Ball canning jars for tomatoes. You can use any jar that has Ball on the bottom of it for jellie/jams. Dearest Grandmother in law when she was alive god rest her soul and the kids & I would can every summer. Make jams & jellies, senfgerken, tomatoes, relishes and lots of others but we always used the Ball Blue Book. Check to see if you can get one at the local library on loan then maybe copy the recipes you like. All I can say is time & patience, as it takes oodles of time to make things, but come this winter you will be so glad you took the time to do that !
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I've never canned anything more complicated than jam, but my understanding is with meat you HAVE to use a pressure canner.

Sorry I don't have any recommendations for books - I always used the chart that came with the pectin.
Also a lot of veggies too. Tomatoes and pickels have a lot of acid so your can can them with a water bath. When I decided to learn to can I bought a canning kit came with everything you needed to water bath can and the book "Ball Blue Book of Preserving" Really good book. Tells you everything you need to know, has some good recipes and is not too complicated.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 AM

The ball canning book is the best. I have been canning for years. It is the best easiest to follow book. I use a water bath for some things and pressure canner for others. I don't like meat that has been canned it gets a weird texture. I do can vegetable soup with meat. When I had the 4 kids at home I canned about 400 jars a year. Yard sales are a good source for jars. Check for nicks on the top edge before buying. I got nearly all of my jars at yard sales.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM

I just read the book that came with my pressure cooker. Learned as I went along. Kerr and Ball books are good.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 AM

I agree. Our county extension office is the repository for all the latest information about safe canning. There's lots of information on the web, just make sure it comes from a reliable source.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Nothing to be afraid of with a pressure canner- just follow the directions. Also, I use it as my water bath canner too, just don't seal the top on. Love to can all kinds of things, but have never done meat. I'd like to try chicken this year, my Mom said it was her favorite thing that her Mom canned. So convenient too, for soup or chicken pie- enchiladas, what ever.