This made me smile

Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 AM

i dont own a dryer and have never seen the inside of a laundry mat all of you should sleep on a air dried sheet just once and the towels really absorb the water from your body i wouldnt haveeit any other way and oh by the way in the winter sometimes they stay out for days and im not that old just another memory of my mom doing the same thing
Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 AM

I love line dried clothes. Thank goodness I live in the country without any restrictions about clotheslines!!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 AM

The good old days. My Aunt Lou would also iron the sheets and pillow cases.

I just had my DH put a close line up for me even though we just bought a new close dryer. I like the smell of fresh air on the sheets after being outside.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:59 AM

I remember those times and also the diapers freezing in the winter time. Were stiff as a board and if they didn't freeze dry, I would bring them inside and string a clothsline in the kitchen and rehang them there. There is nothing better than smelling those sheets as you take them off the clothsline.
IdahoSandy
Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 AM

I remember! I can still picture the lines full of diapers! Thanks for the memories and yes, those were the rules!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Ann
The good old days. My Aunt Lou would also iron the sheets and pillow cases.

I just had my DH put a close line up for me even though we just bought a new close dryer. I like the smell of fresh air on the sheets after being outside.
I still iron the sheets and pillow cases!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 AM

LOL for sure this one brings back memories ! Mother & Grandmother doing both with the unmentionables!LOL Now I just use the clothesline for sheets, blankets and towels!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
I remember those times and also the diapers freezing in the winter time. Were stiff as a board and if they didn't freeze dry, I would bring them inside and string a clothsline in the kitchen and rehang them there. There is nothing better than smelling those sheets as you take them off the clothsline.
IdahoSandy
When I was first married we lived in the city and our clothesline went from our kitchen window to a pole in the back of the yard. With 2 small children in diapers the clothesline in the winter often had a long line of frozen cloth diapers waving in the wind. When we moved to our new house in the surburbs I had DH put up an umbrella type clothesline in the back yard but was very glad house came with a dryer so I could dry diapers and clothes in the winter. We've lived here for a little over 50 years and I still have an outdoor clothes dryer.

I grew up in the city and knew the 'proper' days and ways to hang clothes outside but when I had my own city apartment I put the wash out whenever I could and took them in whenever I had the time, sometimes the clothes stayed out overnight! Might have shocked my older women neighbors but it never hurt the clothes.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Remember when the clothes HAD to be turned wrong side out, so the sun would not fade the color so quickly?
Wonder if anyone else has ever dried clothing "over bushes"
when not haveing a line? :oops:
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 AM

I would love to have a clothes line and hang clothes out. However, Fairfax County, VA does not allow that. Would save some energy that is for sure. The close line rules are my era and I too remember Mom taking freeze-dried diapers off the line and hanging unmentionables between sheets. Tacky? oh my word, only poor white trash would leave pins on the lines.