Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Important is Your Stash? >

How Important is Your Stash?

How Important is Your Stash?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 AM

Sounds like my husband.... "Look at this! Just the sort of exciting color/design/batik you use." and into the "purchase pile it goes. He also (90% of the time) comes when I ask for a "consoltation" and helps me resolve small problems as they arise. He is also very good at colors most of the time, and he is (according to the eye doctor) essentially color-blind (maybe with the dots test, but not in reality!).

We all have material in our stash that we'll never use (tastes change) but I use mine for charity quilts. I figure that someone will like it, just as I love some quilt stores and really dislike others because of the fabric colors and designs.

Also, we've had grandkids with us this past month and one great activity is (for the younger ones) choosing a picture and going through my scraps drawer and choosing small pieces to cut out and make a picture. Awesome results! They go though Dover Press coloring books, kiddie picture books, lots of Native American books.... and the final pictures are really stricking.

Not to mention the fact that they are getting design/color/etc. training and are happily busy so I can help the older ones (a ten year old made her first quilt with fleece and a front of cotton designs which will go into her church's fall blanket drive).

Love my stash!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM

My husband is one of those who goes into fabric stores with me..... "Look at this! Just the sort of exciting color/design/batik you use." and into the "purchase pile it goes. He also (90% of the time - the other 10% he insists on finishing adding up a column or something) comes when I ask for a "consoltation" and helps me resolve small problems as they arise. He is also very good at colors most of the time, and he is (according to the eye doctor) essentially color-blind (maybe with the dots test, but not in reality!).

We all have material in our stash that we'll never use (tastes change) but I use mine for charity quilts. I figure that someone will like it, just as I did once.

Also, we've had grandkids with us this past month and one great activity is (for the younger ones) choosing a picture and going through my scraps drawer and choosing small pieces to cut out and make a picture. Awesome results! They go though Dover Press coloring books, kiddie picture books, lots of Native American books.... and the final pictures are really stricking.

Not to mention the fact that they are getting design/color/etc. training and are happily busy so I can help the older ones (a ten year old made her first quilt with fleece and a front of cotton designs which will go into her church's fall blanket drive).

Love my stash!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Recently life gets in the way of sewing, so my stash is still building. When I get the time I know I have what i need to sew. My stash is very important to me.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 AM

Very important! Especially with the price of cotton going up and up.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:47 AM

In the next year, we will be moving about 3 hrs east of Denver. My stash is going with me. I can't afford to replace it in todays market. I will get a storage area the guys are going to fix up for me. Beth in Co
Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

It's very important! I lost my job quite a while back, so every bit counts!!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 AM

No stash, No quilting. Not sure if we will get our next check.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 AM

I just started quilting this year & have not figure out why quilters have a stash. I can see a stash of leftover material from a previous project but why do quilters buy material just because they like it & have no idea what they are going to use it for. Does a stash ever go down or does it just keep growing? It seems to me that having a stash is a waste of money. Planning your projects & buying on sale seems more ecomincal
Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
Lets just say when we have to evacuate for the hurricanes it will be in the van!!!! LOL
I never thought of hurricanes. We live in South Fl - best put that on my list!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Glad I bought a lot earlier before the big jump in prices. Have enuf to last a looooong time!
Prices really have jumped. Take time to use what we have and save.