Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color catchers tested by Consumer Reports >

Color catchers tested by Consumer Reports

Color catchers tested by Consumer Reports

Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM

My understanding is that the Synthrapol gets rid of the excess dye in hand dyed & batik fabrics. I only pre-wash batiks, hand-dyes & Jinny Beyer fabrics. A quilting teacher told me that Jinny Beyer does not allow the fabric manufacturers to use some sort of chemical that lessens the change of the dyes running. I do not know if that is still true though, but, just in case, I'm more careful with her fabrics.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 AM

I love them. I probably have 3 boxes in my laundry room. I do try to be careful when separating the wash, but there are some items that I am not sure if they should be washed with whites or colored. I also sometimes add 3 to a large load, or new items being washed for the first time.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:01 PM

Well, they saved my quilt top. I am making the Ohio State Quilt and all the blocks and strips were in the kit I bought at the quilt show - black, white, red, grey. I started reading this wonderful blog and got to thinking - oh my gosh, it is going shrink and the red is going to run. So when I got the main quilt mother block done (48" x 68"), i bit the bullet and following the Shout Color Catcher directions, put 3 color catchers in a "undie's bag" and put it in the back of my front load HE machine, put in the quilt top, and used warm water wash and cold rinse and prayed! Opened the washer one hour later, the quilt was wrinkly but okay, a little shrinkage but the white was white and all 3 color catchers were red!!! Still working on the quilt and adding the additional sides that I had to get extra material for (that I washed before I cut it). Thank you for the info on the color catchers from everyone of you. See picture for what I am talking about!!! This is my first quilt!!! :lol:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231125.jpe
Views:	91
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	231131  
Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Might as well add my two cents worth: I have used the terry cloth (good for 30 washes) and the color catchers with perfect results.

I prewash all of my quilting fabric. And, have even begun to just throw them all in together, whether light or dark... the color catchers pick up the excess dye.

Now how that works, I don't get it but it does. So, I for one, do not agree with Consumer Reports. :-D
Old 07-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Could someone tell me what a "color catcher" is? I'm new to quilting and haven't had the issue yet.
Thanks,
bonnie
Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM

I also think they should have used more than one color catcher if washing with pure whites.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 PM

thanks for posting. maybe I'll reconsider the pre-wash :D
Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM

What happened to common sense? :roll:
Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM

My question is where to get these color catchers by Shout - I saw where you have to order Synthrapol and Retayne - but no Walmart of any size has any color catchers, and I've asked and every clerk looks at me like I come from outer space - even if they work the the fabric department - but I've seen so many comment it is at Walmarts - so????? I might add I've asked in southern MN - Iowa and here in Missouri -
Old 07-24-2011, 02:21 PM

They might not have used enough catchers. One won't catch it if there is enough dye lost in the wash, IMHO