Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without? >

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:34 PM

In my current sewing room I have two large storage cabinets on big casters that I can roll around.

wow, love those metal, cabinets! where can i find them?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:37 PM

sorry, incomingtome, i goofed up the reply again!

you said "in my current sewing room i have two large storage cabinets on big casters that i can roll around"

i wanted to ask, where can they be found. i really like them! thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Besides some heavy duty surge protectors and plenty of outlets, I had the contractor put a heavy duty dowel between two cupboards to hang all my tops and UFO's on so I can see what needs to be finished. Also a custom made ironing board 28x36. Big enough to iron a FQ all at one time!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I am going to try to post pics of my area in its messiness. I have so many "must haves" it is best to show a pic. I'll see if this works, new hard drive and downloading is different than old system.

Edited to add: A ceiling outlet is over the largest table, which is 60X80 with a padded ironing top. The smaller table fits my large cutting mat, has a formica top. File drawers hold fat quarters and scraps. I like having everything hidden when not in use.
If I had this sewing room, I would think I died and went to sewing haven where my Memere is waiting for me!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:01 PM

How fun! Peg board to hand things and cutting table to your height! Lots of storage you can easily access and see. Place to hang things... Of course, TV and/or radio and a fan!!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 AM

I think wood and laminate is on sale at Lowe's through the end ofthe month - if you went that way and I think they also have a deal on instillation. you can further reduce the losest price by signing on to ebates.com and then get a check in the mail for usually about 4% of your purchase price a couple of months down the road - it is a nice forgotten surprise to get that something else that you forgot about !
Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 PM

I agree with the design wall, cutting table, and specific work stations with good light. Find and define the right height for your cutting table. Too low or too high would cast a shadow on your beautiful new work space.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Good Afternoon,

In September we are beginning our basement remodel. So the entire LARGE room (half of the house) will be broken into a TV / Computer room, and the other half will be my sewing studio.

I'm excited to have a new space that isn't concrete walls and floor. But am just looking for suggestions for things you just feel you HAVE to have to make your sewing space work for you.

The standard machine and notions goes without saying. But what gadgets, storage options, or other suggestions would you have?

My big change will be having a dedicated outlet for my iron...woohoo! But anything else you can suggested while I'm in the planning stages would be helpful. :)
The best thing in my new sewing space is the 12" deep cabinet I designed and built with the doors as the 7x8 ft design wall!
Attaching a photo file...hope this works. Also love the triple dresser with the 'big board' on top for ironing and the two back to back triple dressers with a top for cutting. If you want more pictures, drop me an email.

Door open to see inside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231330[/ATTACH]

Closed up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231331[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231324.jpe
Views:	26
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	231330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-231325.jpe
Views:	22
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	231331  
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Congrats on your room,one of the things that I can not live without is my Ceiling fan, I have lots of light but it makes the room hot and at my age I need a breeze summer and winter.
Have fun setting up your room
Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM

My absolute must is a counter height cutting table.