Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a shoe-string budget >

Quilting on a shoe-string budget

Quilting on a shoe-string budget

Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM

www.thousandsofbolts.com is my favorite online fabric resource for quality fabric at an affordable price. They have frequent sales.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Yep, Goodwill is a great place to find fabric. It's one of my favorite store to search and help someone else at the same time.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 AM

i have found lots of fabric at yard sales flea markets
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ConfederateQuilter
My question is about how to quilt on a shoe-string budget.

Does anyone have any ideas? What about recycling

material from used clothing?
I really have a problem recommending used fabric either clothing or sheets as by the time those things, especially cotton, get to goodwill they are worn out. When I first started I found a group of quilters that met at local quilt shop (LQS) and they didn't mind if I sat in on their Thimbleberries club meeting. I stated I was starting out and you wouln't belief the amount of fabric that quilters are willing to share. Another place was yard sales where I found cutting boards, rotary cutters and rulers: usually because someone tried quilting and didn't like it.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 AM

We are living on a low S.S check--but I still like to quilt. My friends know that--so they help me by keeping an eye out for fabrics at garage or yard sales as well as Goodwill stores. It is amazing what you can find. One of my friends even got me some fabrics left over from a Home Economics class in a high school. So get the word out to friends--and be sure not to give up on quilting just because of lack of funds. Where there is a will there is a way. Go for it!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 AM

I am with you. ALL of my family/friend quilt gifts are from recycled fabric. I also do the sheet backing and sometimes use the quilt for the center... Also on a strict budget...
~~~

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Ask friends for old shirts. 100% cotton if possible. YOu can use an old sheet for backing, and a flannel sheet or thin used blanket for batting. If you don't have a machine, you can hand piece & hand quilt or just tie. This site has a lot of free quilt patterns made from scraps:

http://www.quiltville.com/
Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 AM

If your local quilt guild has a yearly show, you can probably volunteer to get your entrance fee. I found 3 bags of fabric for $3 each on the last day of the show in the guild's stand (members donate). I believe the smallest scrap was a strip, but there were several 1-yard pieces, too.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 PM

That is what our grandmothers and gr-grandmothers did. They did not have quilt shops and fabric shops back in those days and their main supply for quilts and comforters was the cast off clothing.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by quilting in my60s
Originally Posted by ConfederateQuilter
My question is about how to quilt on a shoe-string budget.

Does anyone have any ideas? What about recycling

material from used clothing?
I really have a problem recommending used fabric either clothing or sheets as by the time those things, especially cotton, get to goodwill they are worn out. When I first started I found a group of quilters that met at local quilt shop (LQS) and they didn't mind if I sat in on their Thimbleberries club meeting. I stated I was starting out and you wouln't belief the amount of fabric that quilters are willing to share. Another place was yard sales where I found cutting boards, rotary cutters and rulers: usually because someone tried quilting and didn't like it.
i really have to disagree with you on the "worn out" part of your reply--i've found lots of useables with the tags still on them! maybe it's only in PA! LOL
Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM

i am amazed no one has mentioned the "Free Offers & Donations" section on this board.
{there is less than two thousand subscribers to that section}
some of the posts are those who are asking for "fabric help". there are many giveaways & lots of freebies--keep your eyes OPEN & it will find you!!