Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wheelchair quilt >

Wheelchair quilt

Wheelchair quilt

Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM

We look out for our two neighbor bachelors. When one had to stay 3 mo. in a home, he lost new slacks, sweat pants, and a telephone and radio!! Never did get them.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:23 PM

These people do not do it intentionally most have dementia and are really unaware that they are taking things from others. My mother-in-law had a new pair of pajamas taken right after she went into the nursing home and they were never found, I do her laundry so that helps. My son made a beautiful quilt for her bed and she uses it as a spread, everyone loves it. I was amazed one night as I was there when she was getting ready for bed, she folded the quilt down, across and removed it from her bed, laid it in her chair and said she would put it back on in the morning. she has her right mind but I thought that was so funny, would never take the spread off at night. They changed her linens one day and took her quilt with the sheets and I happened to be there, when we returned she panicked and told me to find that girl - I just rummaged the dirty laundry and found it - took it home and laundered it and it is so pretty - that was the first laundering.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 PM

We have gone through this before and still going through it now. My dear MIL had a quilt her daughter made for her and it had her name on it. It went missing for months.It was found in someone else's room. Even her nightgowns with her name clearly in them were found when someone else was wearing them!! Now my dear FIL has had his belts, clothing, quilt, etc. gone missing. Only to later turn up on someone else. We have put names clearly marked on all of his belongings and have constantly complained to the people working there.....to no avail. We decided that as long as he is wearing clothes, I guess we need to just relax a bit. These homes are short-staffed and doing the best they can (I am trying to convince myself). Still it is very frustrating.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:33 PM

Agree with Ramona. Try looing for it in the rooms, etc, Praying that you find it.

Hugs

Helen
Old 07-25-2011, 01:55 PM

My mom wore a gold color necklace with her picture and my dad's for yeas and while in the nursing home it was stolen. My mom told us a nurse told her to take it off and put it in the drawer which was hidden and the next morning the necklace was gone. So that tells me a nurse stole it and we were furious but of course no one knew anything about the necklace. It's a shame the elderly has to give up all their possessions in a nursing home & think one day we may be the victims.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I stopped while driving to the store when i saw a neighbor lady trying to unload furniture from her van all by herself. she had two lovely heavy wooden dressers to take to her Mothers assisted living place to put in her room.
i hope no one takes those!!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 PM

I too took care of my husband's laundry when he was in a nursing home and even then once in awhile something of his would wind up in their laundry.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 PM

I worked in a nursing home for 30 years. I made my favorite resident a quilt when she was dying. One day it came missing, so I searched all rooms. Finally found it in the housekeeping closet rolled and hidden under toilet paper. Nice to know my co-workers would steal from a dying women.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 PM

Yes, make sure you tell the staff. The same thing happened to my Mom's quilt but we were blessed that staff found it in someone else's drawers. Hope you find your sister's quilt too!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:05 PM

This happens to lots of my Mom's stuff, but it usually resurfaces eventually. I embroider her name obviously on common items, like quilts and lap robes, in an unusual color to make it less attractive. Her bras I wrote her name in big black sharpee letters to make them the last thing anyone would want to steal after I spent big bucks on them when she first arrived and they never came back from the laundry. I emblazon her name, football jersey style on the back of her sweaters and jackets. When I made her quilt, I put up curtains to match. That made it easier for the staff to see where the quilt went when it came back from the laundry. You just have to expect it, and do the best you can.