Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sudoku quilt >

sudoku quilt

sudoku quilt

Old 07-27-2011, 06:55 AM

have any of you made a sudoku quilt??? also can you use hand quilting thread in a sewing machine??????
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 AM

Hand quilting thread is coated so it moves smoothly through fabric. Don't use it in your sewing machine because it can guck it up. :lol:
Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter
Hand quilting thread is coated so it moves smoothly through fabric. Don't use it in your sewing machine because it can guck it up. :lol:
Hand Quilting thread is also thicker so you may run into other issues in the machine.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Hand quilting thread has a glaze on it that will wear grooves in the tension disks.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by f rogers
have any of you made a sudoku quilt??? also can you use hand quilting thread in a sewing machine??????
No, not me. I would not use it in my machine, there's a difference in the texture.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm planning to make a Sudoku quilt for DS for Christmas. I really like this one.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-105766-1.htm
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM
MTS
Banned

My friend does a quilt/math club every year at her elementary school in NYC. Every year we come up with a project so the kids can learn/use some math skills, and also learn some sewing skills.

After the 1st quilt, I started choosing and preparing the fabrics for the kids. In years past, the quilts were based on HST blocks. And we both really like brights with black or B&W's, so that's been a continuous theme though all the quilts.

After 3 quilts, I was sick of seeing HST blocks, so last year I decided they would do a SUDOKU quilt. First they had to solve the puzzle with numbers on paper, and then they had to convert the numbers - via a key - to shapes/colors.

I cut all the shapes and sewed the shapes on the center block, along with 2 shapes on each of the remaining 8 blocks. I put the pieces for each block in a baggie for each kid (there were 8, so that worked out well).

They did the rest. The shapes are made of fleece, and not that easy to sew down. We have a policy where I don't change anything the kids sew. They did it, it's their quilt, it should be their work.

I lucked out on finding that border fabric (Ricky Tims Oodles & Doodles). I think it's fabulous!

While putting it together my walking foot decided to be beyond difficult. Let's just say my vernacular that night was not fit for the 3rd & 4th graders who made the quilt (the quilt HAD to be in the mail back to NY the following morning). One of these days I'll learn not to wait until the last minute.
So the quilting sucks, and I didn't do as much as I wanted because I was raging already. Hormones. :roll:

However, the kids were delighted and thrilled with the result (they have no idea of the final look until I send the quilt back to them), and this one will join the other three on the walls of the school auditorium.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-232376.jpe
Views:	599
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	232382  
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by f rogers
I made one using fruit/food fabric it was fun to do.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

What a creative, fun project!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM

I haven't made one yet but have a free pattern I got in the mail. I plan to make it someday. :roll: