Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
D**B question I already know the answer to..hand quilting question >

D**B question I already know the answer to..hand quilting question

D**B question I already know the answer to..hand quilting question

Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

I hand quilt using Coats & Clark hand quilting thread. It is glace. Single strand.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

I've always just used a single strand C & C heavy duty quilting thread (for about 25 yrs) - it is heavier than the regular sewing thread. Seems to last OK.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 AM

I machine piece the quilt top...but always handquilt the quilts...1 strand of thread is sufficient for me...never had a problem!! :P
Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

In my experience, thread suitable for hand quilting always specifically says "suitable for hand quilting" or "hand quilting" somewhere on the label. Thread is manufactured by a weight designation. The LOWER the number the HEAVIER the thread. So a 35wt thread is much heavier than a 50wt thread. Most multipurpose threads are 50wt or 60wt and I prefer using a much heavier thread for handquilting. For Machine quilting I have used very lightweight threads, even silk which is 100wt (very fine!)

So for your handquilting project seek out a thread specfically made for handquilting. And if you really want your stitching to show go for something that is designated as a 35wt or 40wt minimum. One strand is all you need.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Yes, you want to use specifically designated 'hand quilting thread'. I've used many different brands and don't have a particular favorite. Just find the color I want and go from there. That said, JoAnn's carries a line of hand quilting thread 'Americana' that I do like quite a bit and it is very reasonably priced. Some nice colors as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

single strand for quilting.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks, folks. I went to the local store today and got HAND quilting thread and yes, it's considerably thicker.

As I was chatting with the store owner, I mentioned how I couldn't believe how I couldn't work with invisible thread now when it's all I used years ago. She told me invisible thread is thinner and harder to work with than it used to be. It's a relief to know it's not totally my eyes and age.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Ditto from all that was said. You want to use a hand quilting thread. (I use Gutermann or YLI). You can search with Google or some other search engine for Hand Quilting Thread and come up with websites that sell.

When I'm going for effect and really want the stitches to show, I have been known to quilt with No. 12 hand dyed embroidery thread.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Cyn

I use gutterman's hand quilting thread. I buy it on sale at Hancocks.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 AM

Hand Quilting thread is usually "coated" or "glazed". The coating allows the thread to pass through the fabric numerous of times and remain strong and it won't tangle. We agree with the others, it must say "hand quilting" somewhere on the spool. Hand Quilting thread is available in solid as well as variegated colors.