Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silent Auction >

Silent Auction

Silent Auction

Old 07-28-2011, 07:26 AM

I have just been asked to make a quilt for a silent auction for the Children's Museum in our city. Any suggestions on an appropriate pattern. I was thinking of full/queen size. Need by the end of September. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM

is there a theme for the auction event? or is it just going to be sitting in the museum for a couple of days for people to bid on? If there is a theme you might want to think of either fabrics in those colors or themes or a pattern in that way. I think either some nice bright jewel tones would be wonderful. maybe in batiks with a star or diamond pattern. but those are what I like. maybe even a bargello would be nice in some bright colors.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the great ideas. I'll post pictures when I complete it.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 AM

In my experience quilts go notoriously low in silent auctions. However if they are willing to sell raffle tickets for it, they will make more. People love applique and it will be fall so an autumn themed quilt might sell.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seamstome
In my experience quilts go notoriously low in silent auctions. However if they are willing to sell raffle tickets for it, they will make more. People love applique and it will be fall so an autumn themed quilt might sell.
Totally agree. In a silent auction, even in affluent areas you will be lucky if the cost of fabric is recouped. If it goes for $100 or $200 you will be fortunate. Whereas raffles often raise close to $1,000 depending on how long raffle tickets are sold and the venues used to promote sales. You may wish to suggest to the organizers of the event they kick off the raffle at the silent auction event and run it through Christmas. Many people are willing to part with a few dollars for a chance at a quilt. Very few are willing to part with a few hundred. Before volunteering to pour your heart and soul into a quilt that will, at best, only bring in $300 or so, you may wish to rethink volunteering your efforts in a way to raise even more money for the museum.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by seamstome
Totally agree. In a silent auction, even in affluent areas you will be lucky if the cost of fabric is recouped. If it goes for $100 or $200 you will be fortunate. Whereas raffles often raise close to $1,000 depending on how long raffle tickets are sold and the venues used to promote sales. You may wish to suggest to the organizers of the event they kick off the raffle at the silent auction event and run it through Christmas. Many people are willing to part with a few dollars for a chance at a quilt. Very few are willing to part with a few hundred. Before volunteering to pour your heart and soul into a quilt that will, at best, only bring in $300 or so, you may wish to rethink volunteering your efforts in a way to raise even more money for the museum.
From what I've seen and heard, I totally agree.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will definitely take them under advisement.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I made a quilt for a silent auction and they didn't even open it up. It only went for less than $100. Very dissapointing.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 AM

I made a queen size quilt with matching shams for a silent auction. Only went for $85.00, which was a big disappointment for me. Oh well, it was a donation so anything they get out of it is money in their coffers.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 AM

This too is a donation, so it's in their own best interest to bid high, but something is better than nothing.