Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I wash this huge quilt? >

How do I wash this huge quilt?

How do I wash this huge quilt?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Laundromat and make sure that you use a machine with a water extractor. Very important. Less drying time.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I wash 120x120 quilts at home. I have a Whirlpool duet front loader. It is a big drum front loader. I also put it in the dryer or hang it up outside over the fency from the pool. Yes, you will need to adjsut it maybe 2-3 times when in the dryer. Whatever you do avoid the washers with the agitator sticks in the center. As it is a gift I would use All free laundry detergent, no scents or dyes etc. For front loaders use the HE marked laundry detergent, high efficiency.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 AM

If you use a dryer at the laundromat, definitely stop it on occasion as the others suggested! I used one when my dryer was broken a couple years ago and although I adjusted the heat setting to low heat, it destroyed the entire load. It was so hot, I`m surprised the clothes didn`t catch fire! Even a pair of jeans came out so wrinkled I was unable to iron out the wrinkles. A dry cleaners may do it for you. They have the same large dryers but keep them serviced properly so as not to ruin their customers` clothing.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I use sheets on the grass to dry mine.[/quote]

Yes, I was thinking this too if no lines are avaialble.

:thumbup:
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Dont forget when you mail it to pay a little extra and send it with certified/return receipt and tracking. And what ever you do... DO NOT write quilt on the out side or on the contents box. It really is a beautiful quilt. I also use the laundymat and I stay with it the entire time. I would not trust a drycleaner to not ruin or loose it.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM

I was just told to wash quilts in horse soap. It is called "Orvus Paste" and you can get it at Farm & Fleet a lot cheaper than buying it at a quilt shop.

"Get your horses squeaky clean with Procter & Gamble’s Orvus Paste Soap. Just lather them up and rinse them off. It works equally well in hot or cold water and will even clean those stubborn manure stains that are such a problem. Plus, you can use this soap for washing fine washables in the laundry because it contains no phosphorus to fade colors! For a versatile soap, you need Procter & Gamble’s Orvus Paste Soap."

I haven't tried it yet, but plan to buy some soon.

Good Luck
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Make sure that the laundry mat machines are clean - both washer and dryer. Pretty quilt!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 PM

If you're low on free time to spend at the laundromat, you could have it dry cleaned. I do that to a few quilts.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 PM

When I wash a quilt, I put it in the bathtub, with the soapy water (quilt soap), agitate by hand, then rinse and repeat until the water runs clear. Put the quilt into a clothes basket. It will be very heavy and you don't want the threads to break.

I have two methods for drying.

1) Lay the quilt on sheets on the lawn, cover with sheets to protect from birds and the sun and let dry flat.

2) Take to studio and pin the quilt square on foam boards to block the quilt square.

I don't use the washer and dryer because of the problems you have had. I also want my quilts (and my grandmother's!) to last as long as possible. I want the wear to be from USE, not from LAUNDERING!

Now - I'll go see what everyone else says!!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Its a beautiful quilt.
I do just as you said.
I take each quilt to the laundrymat and use the jumbo front loaders (and throw in a couple color catchers). And I stop the dryer every couple minutes to un-roll it.
I use Dreft detergent. I figure if it gets baby items clean it'll get a quilt clean, and it's gentle.
I agree with the above - the front loader washers don't have an agitator (like the top loaders) which really wreak havoc on the batting and stress seams like all get out.