Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity? >

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by BobbiSue2009
Think the best I have ever heard was "Why give away something you have spent so much time on? Why don't you sell it and make more money". As if making money was everything...
I had a "chuckle" thought as I read this comments....
If I was able to sell my quilts, I would only have to eventually report it as "income" and give Uncle Sam and his nephews (state taxes) a "share". Well. since Uncle and nephews can't seem to manage what they already get, I'm not about to give them anymore. So I will continue to make charity quilts and deduct what small amount I'm allowed on taxes...never amounts to any reduction, but at least "Uncle" knows what he's not getting!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 PM

Oh, they weren't friends. They were fellow communters. People you see every day ~ 1-2 hr a day depending on the commute. People you are friendly with but don't really know much about them

Many times I'd work on projects while commuting and that would get everyone talking. We were a chatty group.

I worked at a hospital, when I finished items I'd bring a little baggy of dolls or a couple of lap quilts to give to the children in the pediatric ward and that's when I'd get the comments. It's the passing aquaintances who feel the need to make comments.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 PM

oops double post
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 PM

I agree with you to a point..I use to think it was a great thing to do..until one day I found out what usually happens to donated quilts..a lady said to me..we get so many we don't know what to do with them all..then showed me a roomful of quilts from 5 yrs. I was in a state of shock..so I keep quiet and I really look into what the charity does and I'm a stickler on mine staying in the USA !!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:15 PM

I have to Ditto your whole post. It's happened to me just like that. People just don't always get it. SO glad to see more still doing charity quilts.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:17 PM

People don't understand why you take the time to make things for others in need. I myself get great pleasure from giving it makes me feel good to help others you know you never know when you might be on the receiving end. Do what you like it's really a caring person that does that for someone else and you should feel good about yourself. Don't worry about what someone else says and just ignore the ones who ask for freebies. Sue
Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Some people have no class. When someone wants me to give them a quilt I offer to teach them to quilt and show them my favorite quilt shops!!!
Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I've started not to mention why I'm making my quilts (and in the past rag dolls) because people will say, "Oh, I'll take it."

When I try to explain that I'm making it for children who are sick I've gotten "Oh, my daughter is sick, I'll take one for her." Her daughter had the sniffles, not even a full blown cold. She was offended when I told her that my qults go to children battling cancer and that a cold wasn't the same.

I've also had people get angry with me when I wouldn't just give them a quilt since I make so many to give away or I wouldn't make a quilt for them for free because I have so much fabric given to me. When I mention how much I'd charge them they go through the roof, "It didn't cost you anything, why would you charge me?" Because I have to go and replace what I used to make you a quilt.

I find it absolutely amazing that so many people don't understand that when fabric is given to me because I make quilts for charity, I personally feel an obilgation to use that fabric to make quilts for charity. At least that is how I treat all donations to me.

I keep my personal stash separate from my charity stash.

Have you had any strange comments?
:-D
Old 07-28-2011, 05:43 PM

I am with debbieumphress and ging10ging above with their comments. NON-quilters just do not get it! I make for battered women's center in our county, Project Linus and whatever other charitable project our Guild is doing. There are times when some have said "Why" do you quilt all the time. Well, I am retired and grew up in the 50s-60s when we were taught to help and give to others who have less than we do. Now is my pay-it-backwards time. I have a lot to be thankful for and there are many children in hospitals who smile when given a blanket. Maybe their family can afford a blanket and maybe they cannot; but I do know the warmth they feel when bad health comes down upon people and a total stranger walks in with a brightly colored quilt.
Blessings to all who sew for others.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by virgwid
Not quilting, as I am just getting into that, but I belong to a charity knit/crochet group. We talked with the head of a womens shelter who was very enthusiastic about us making afghans for the women and kids they were moving into new apartments. They literally had nothing, as they usually left with just the clothes on their backs. Anyways, we made I think nearly a hundred. She was having a yearly luncheon for all the workers, volunteers, donors etc. Of course we had to cook for our own luncheon. Our group cooked a lot to help out. Guess what was being given away to everyone as a thank you for the help/donations? People were winning them as prizes, getting 2 to 3 of them at a time to take home. Thank goodness I wasn't there. They probably would have had to call the cops on me for threatening her life! Needless to say we never had another thing to do with that shelter. Which was a shame, as the women and kids could really have used something useful and pretty. Virg
Stuff like that should be told to the newspaper.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
I agree with you to a point..I use to think it was a great thing to do..until one day I found out what usually happens to donated quilts..a lady said to me..we get so many we don't know what to do with them all..then showed me a roomful of quilts from 5 yrs. I was in a state of shock..so I keep quiet and I really look into what the charity does and I'm a stickler on mine staying in the USA !!
Mouth drops open.