Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first memories of Quilts were.... >

My first memories of Quilts were....

My first memories of Quilts were....

Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM

I remember my grandmother making crazy quilts for all of her kids and grandkids. They are very simple compared to today's definition of crazy quilt but mine is beautiful to me. Grandma finished mine the year she died, 1988 (I was 16). I love it and had it on my daughter's bed for a while. Grandma taught me some of her embroidery stitches while she was working on quilts for my cousins. I haven't practiced those stitches since then but it's very memorable. My mother also has a quilt that her grandmother made by hand. It's made of satin which I know wasn't the usual for that time period but I know that I'll inherit that someday. I remember that always being in the chest my mother had when I was a kid. There were also some handstitched nightgowns but we don't have those anymore. I sure do have a different perspective now than I did as a kid!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 PM

My mother never sewed quilts, but she surprised my sister and me one day when she sewed and gave us those little tiny nylon stockings (with the seam up the back of the leg) for our generic Barbie dolls. The only sewing my mother did was patching our clothes, teaching us how to sew our clothes and make clothes for our dolls. She was WONDERFUL!!
When I was 18, back in 1967 I hand sewed a double size quilt for my mom and dad; and, when she passed away in 1997 she still had it on her bed! Loved Her and Miss Her!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phannie1
My grandmothers always had quilts. when we all came to visit them; the quilts came out. They were all different kinds. Some were ugly and was made for use as padding. These would be layered for "pallets" for sleeping for the beds where for the adults. with about 8 to 10 kids there would be many "pallets" all over the place. The the tops would have the pretty quilts for the top layers. I would always get the prettiest for I was the Girlie Girl and I wanted to sleep pretty. In the closet where the quilts were stored was always that quilt I never saw used. It was a Double Wedding Ring set in yellow. I always wondered about it. As an adult, was told that the yellow quilt had been made by my great-grand mother for my grandfather's bride. Over the years my grandparents died when I was a kid and the quilt was out of site. then one family reunion the subject turned to quilts and that "yellow quilt" came up. My dad's cousin had gotten prosession of that quilt and when I told her about the history of the quilt, she went home and retrieved the quilt and gave it to me. I now have the quilt my great-grandmother made and one of the pretty quilts my grandmother made. What was your first memories of quilts?
Would love to see such a special quilt if you can post pictures?

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Crawling and playing under my grandparents' quilt frame they had set up in the living room. They both hand quilted for the church bazaar....and Grandma taught me how to piece when I was little.....unfortunately I forgot most of everything she taught, as I didn't pick up quilting again until recently. But I do remember the two of them stitching away together in the living room.

Christine
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM

At four years old, I remember a crib quilt with a yellow duckling swimming among water lily pads and flowers. I'm sure it had been made for me but it was being used in my first brother's crib and probably the second, too, as they were born less than a year apart. It was used until worn to rags and then it was gone. I loved it. There are no pictures and now I am the oldest in the immediate family. How I wish I could duplicate it, but my 60 year old memory of it is too dim.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 PM

I remember quilts as a little girl because I would go to visit my Great Aunt Ruth who was at least 70 who still lived on the farm that she was born on and in the same small town where everybody knew each other. She would often have a quilt in a frame to hand quilt and I remember once she actually had a quilting bee while I was there.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Both grandmothers had quilts, but most vivid memory is of my mother's great aunt. Mom saved her scraps and she gave them to her aunt to make a quilt in the 1950's. It turned into a double wedding ring quilt with yellow and lavender centers. My GGA had a quilting frame and her friends would quilt at her house. I remember playing under it as a child. Some how the double wedding ring never got quilted, so Mom had it at her house. One year, probably in the late 1990's she asked me if I wanted it. We washed it and I brought it home where it sat for a few years. I decided it was time to quilt it in 2004. I sandwiched and quilted it by hand using a hoop. My daughter got married in 2005 and the quilt was my gift to her. I am enclosing pictures of the quilt and her.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-233131.jpe
Views:	115
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	233137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-233132.jpe
Views:	111
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	233138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-233133.jpe
Views:	108
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	233139  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 PM

Beautiful picture, and great memories! My first memories are a little fuzzy, because I had the advantage of quilts at Grandma's and at home. Apparently I was wrapped in one (two) as a baby because I now have the quilts made for me by my grandma and my aunt. (Not quite old enough to be considered antiques... :lol: )
Old 07-28-2011, 06:41 PM

Between my mother and grandmother, all my dresses were homemade until I was at least 6, and many after that. My grandmother made me a double bed sized quilt using the fabrics she had used in making my dresses and had the church ladies help her quilt it for my 16th birthday. She had taken a tracing of my hand when I was 3 yrs. old and embroidered it on the middle block along with the year of the tracing. That's my treasure. I can look at that quilt and remember several of the dresses I wore.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Grandma was a quilter. She had a sunbonnet Sue that was a friendship quilt with her neighbors and Sunday School class, made in the 1930s. They each embroidered their names on the blocks. My mother and aunt each made a block, they were ages 10 and 9! It's one of my prize possessions. Grandma did lovely hand quilting. I also have a yellow maple leaf quilt that she did...I slept under it many times on her bed.