Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making a living from sewing >

Making a living from sewing

Making a living from sewing

Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM

I used to do alterations for a bridal shop. It was an interesting job and I learned so much but I wouldn't go back to it for all the tea in China. It was long hours and tedious work with the beading. I have done alterations on my kids weddings and a few close friends since then but I don't do alterations very often anymore.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM

I would love to.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sewfine
I have four children and 12 grandchildren. When I make things for us, I get compliments on them and requests; have not problem. I do alterations and with that money I buy fabric on sale or with coupons. I make stuff for family members, we buy fabric together to ensure they purchase the right kind, they give a generous donation or buy fabric for me to use later. This is a couple of projects I made for my dad, he pays for the fabric. Most of my crochet projects are made will doing personal home sitting. I like the weekend overnight shift. Can get a lot done while they are sleeping.
Your doll and placemats are adorable!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies! You have inspired me.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Harsh maybe, but once I was given two second hand size 12 identical dresses to turn into one size 18 for a stoutly brides maid. They would have been better off financially going to Ross or a discount store to begin with.
I know this is off topic but I just had to comment that it drives me crazy when brides choose the most horrible dresses for their bridesmaids knowing darn well that they have a bridesmaid that is short and "fluffy" because that almost guarantees that the short bridesmaid will end up feeling horrible after her dress fitting. I didn't have bridesmaids at my wedding but if I did I would have taken all their body types into consideration when choosing a dress style for them all. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM

I feel like the only one out there sometimes, but I sew for a living. I have my own shop downtown and come Monday, will be celebrating 12 years of business. I started it in my home and after 7 years, moved it into a uniform business. After three years there, I got my own shop. That was the best thing I could have done. I love the work I do and my customers are wonderful. They aren't afraid to ask if I can do something. Seems like I've done most everything under the sun from A-Z, but I do have my limitations. I'm honest with my customers as to how I feel about a job. Sometimes I do get something that is beyond my knowledge or out of my comfort zone. I don't like to practice on their clothing and tell them so. That is the best thing a person can do.

Having a sewing business isn't the easiest, but it can be done. I'm just thankful to have mine and I know I'm in a great location for it. Because of word of mouth and my reputation, I have a customer base that covers a nice portion of the map around my town. That took hard work, but it was so very worth it!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
ladies! thanks for the heads up! yes I am/was considering =to do this for some added income! so this isn't really worth the time or effort? thanks again ladies for the advice... will look elsewhere for the added income.

how about Ironing??

I am just trying to find something to earn some extra money, not get rich or whatever.
I am a senior citizen so your ideas would be very helpful.
I have put job applications in to various places, so that may be a way I must go.
I pet sit for extra money. Of course I am retired so I can go to their house for a few days or a couple of weeks. Sewing is my hobby and I don't want to mess it up by making work out of it. And on top of that I hate alterations.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe
I did alterations for awhile and made a couple of bridesmaids dre should have just given it all back to her and said no. but I learned my lesson I stayed up some nights until 4:30 am and then didn't get a cent from her..never again. I had made 6 brdesmaids and a flower girl dresses a few years ago and had to send muslim patterns all over the USA, but the dresses came out beautiful, because we had the right amt of fabrics. and the fabrics were velvet and satin and still came out beautiful. Wish I could make a living at sewing...sses. One didn't pay me, the alterations weren't too bad, but trying to get a really short fat bridesmaid into the pattern that was one someone had given the bride and purchased the fabric for and there was no way....I had to add insert side seams, it was terrible, I
Fat seems to be a pretty harsh word. . . .
Um, dear, some of us are fat. It is what it is.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Hmmmmmmmmm ......don't like the word "fat".......would you prefer fluffy? LOL! I'm pleasingly plump, definitely fluffy, and yep FAT.....truth is truth. Political correctness is crap....JMO.
You forgot 'built for comfort, not for speed'. I also like "I am in shape. Round is a shape". Fat definitely has a negative stigma attached to it. And, people who are know they are. I just prefer that someone not point it out to me in such a way.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by faithcreates
I feel like the only one out there sometimes, but I sew for a living. I have my own shop downtown and come Monday, will be celebrating 12 years of business. I started it in my home and after 7 years, moved it into a uniform business. After three years there, I got my own shop. That was the best thing I could have done. I love the work I do and my customers are wonderful. They aren't afraid to ask if I can do something. Seems like I've done most everything under the sun from A-Z, but I do have my limitations. I'm honest with my customers as to how I feel about a job. Sometimes I do get something that is beyond my knowledge or out of my comfort zone. I don't like to practice on their clothing and tell them so. That is the best thing a person can do.

Having a sewing business isn't the easiest, but it can be done. I'm just thankful to have mine and I know I'm in a great location for it. Because of word of mouth and my reputation, I have a customer base that covers a nice portion of the map around my town. That took hard work, but it was so very worth it!
You mentioned uniform shop. Have you thought of making stethoscope covers for your medical customers? I consign them to a local hospital and they do pretty well - mostly purple (respiratory) and the breast cancer fabric with the pink ribbons (these are the biggest sellers). I make 90% of mine on the serger (fast to make). If you're interested, PM me and I can go into more details.

Glad to hear someone has done well sewing for a living. I don't do well making clothes for myself (fitting part) let alone for others. Good Luck in the future !!!