Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rhinestones, good idea or bad? >

Rhinestones, good idea or bad?

Rhinestones, good idea or bad?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM

Go for it, Girl! I did a Christmas Wall Hanging a few years ago, with rhinestones, colored metal shapes, sewn on buttons, glued on stuff....and I love it. I do not actually use it as a hanging, but toss it over a chair where it catches the light from the tree and just glitters! I used the hot fix wand....it works great.
Have had many good comments from guests and friends....and me....lol.
An art quilt can use any embellishment you wish.....send pics....I know it will be gorgeous!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM

I love the chotchky look, but, (BUT) I still think a quilt should have some kind of function other than just hanging around. (now, the hanging around can be on walls where you're trying to block cold/hot air for comfort in your home, thats useful.)You can still use a quilt, covered with beads and stones, on any bed if its used by adults.

I'm not harsh, I think antiques are fine, too, if you can use them - whats the point in having old chairs etc around cluttering the house if you can't sit on them; or have old jewelry if you don't wear it - (I guess I'm fuction over form) lol sharet
Old 07-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Some things don't need to be "used" functionally......they can make a statement, provide an accent, warm the room visually rather than actually, perhaps give a dark corner a bit of sparkle and light, and fill our hearts with memories. Sentimental values can be precious.
We all have our preferences, and none are wrong. Whatever makes one happy is right and good.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:29 PM

Sparkles,,,,,,YES...
Old 07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

I vote for the bling!! The hot-fix crystals are easy to do. All kinds of colors, shapes and sizes. :)
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Go for it - It's your art piece, and if you "FEEL IT" it must be right!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM

If it hasn't already been suggested--check out the book "Dazzling Quilt: Easy Glitz and Instant Glamour" by Pamela Mosteck. I bought it from Martingale and Co. There are examples of and instructions for some wonderful quilts with beads and crystals. I haven't used it yet, but I bought some bags of Swarovski crystals and the applicator wand. Hope you post a picture when it's done!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
This quilt is definitely not going to be used. I doubt anyone would want to use it as it's been quilted within an inch of it's life. Very stiff.

I'm thinking of using the hot fix rhinestones and getting the little applicator that heats up and applies the rhinestone. Sounds easy enough, which usually means it'll be a nightmare. :)
The hot fix application is very easy. A nice pair of long tweezers helps also.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM

I love bling! Plus, since you are only using it for display, who cares what anyone says. In my one quilt guild, they know I'm for embellishments---beads, etc. My quilts are for display, not sleeping under. Embellishments are that unexpected thing that makes life and quilts more interesting! Do your own thing! Life is too short to follow the dictates of others. You are the artist here and if you think you have to have permission to expand, I give you that permission. It will be beautiful. Be sure to send us a picture.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM

If it's an art quilt then I say go for it!! Who cares if it's scratchy if it's not meant for cuddling anyway? Bling it out girl!