Quilt Challenge!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Lovely Bush quilt.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 AM

I have three scrap quilts started. None of them is finished yet. One is a Christmas quilt (Debbie Mumm's Christmas Wishes) one is a class sampler and the third one is a log cabin. The pattern was in an old Love of Quilting. You sew strips of scraps together (just whatever you grab) and then you do your log cabin blocks. Its lots of fun.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 AM

Good morning,
I can not believe that I used to through out those scraps. Now I make crazy blocks. I will work on the scraps in between other projects. All those little peices take more time but are worth it. I have to come to the point where I am excited to see what those scraps will become.
Happy Quilting,Chrissy B
Old 06-02-2009, 05:53 PM

I'm in for the challenge.

What a great idea.

I just used up some of my scraps, but have lots more to use.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:27 PM

One way to make the backing is to make it out of scraps too. I made a quilt and wasn't in the position to go out and purchase backing fabric for it, so I just used up the leftover fabric, augmented with a few new FQ's. It turned out so cool! I used a simple design for the back and those I've shown it to have raved about how nice it is to have a reversible quilt. I felt so clever after hearing the compliments, when all I was trying to was save money yet still make an attractive back for the quilt.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

i am in for this challenge. I have been working on Maverick Stars for some time now trying to use up some of my scraps.
I found the patterns at bonnies site. I love her site. she has so many ideas and patterns to share. Love her.
I have been collecting shirts to make one of her quilts but along the way my husband has been helping himself to my stash. I learned not to buy them in his size anymore.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 PM

I use my scraps for making log cabins! A great way to use them up, and I give them out as gifts for family members. Have been saving blues and greens, and pinks and purples for log cabins for baby quilts.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM

I know this is an old challenge, but I'm up for it. I will keep a scrapbook of pictures of my quilts. Old sheets work good for backing - I get them cheap at the thrift store. I never realized how much good stuff gets tossed out until I started quilting.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Count me in! This is such a timely challenge. I have been forced to confront my growing stash since my bins are so fat with scraps, the shape of the bins are deformed. I have enough to make several full-sized quilts that I will be donating to charity.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 PM

Isn't Bonnie GREAT?!?!?! She must be the QUEEN of 'multi-quilt-tasking' to keep all those different things going at once!

A little story, then a question: When my cousins were helping my great aunt move, they found several nice balls of 'saved' string in her pantry -- long pieces of string tied end to end, sitting on top of a box neatly labelled "string too short to save". The box was full of little bits of string. Lord knows what she thought she would EVER do with it! We laugh about this 20 years later! :D

Now the question: how big is a 'scrap', and how small is 'trash'? I just started quilting, and already have a box where I toss any pieces bigger than 2" on any side. Can anyone share their 'rules of thumb' for those 'scraps too small to save'?