Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with vintage machines? >

help with vintage machines?

help with vintage machines?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:00 AM
MM

My daughter has my mother's vintage Singer and we are on opposite sides of the country, so I can't check up on it now. She says the manual says 15K88, but the receipt (August, 1950) says it's a 15K90.

Is this similar to the machines you're all talking about? I know it needs to visit someone who could repair/replace the wiring and give it a good going-over; will see about doing that when we're back in Reno this fall.

Is this a desirable machine for quilting? If it can be used for free-motion quilting, what foot would I need?

These old machines are a mystery to me, but I'd like to learn more about them.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:05 AM

The machine you are looking at is a Singer 201. The 201 is the top of the line singer from that time. I refurbish both 201's and 15-91's and use my grandmothers 201 for quilting. $75.00 is a very good price even if it needs a little cleaning up. $50.00 would be better but $75 is good. Be sure to check the wiring behind the motor to makes sure the insulation is intact and not cracking and coming off. In my experience the one's on craigslist that are in a cabinet are usually in pretty good condition. If the wire is bare and it touches the metal machine head the whole machine can become live. I rewire motors and it is not difficult to do if you like to do things like that. But I would take the 201 in a heartbeat.

Cindy
Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM

I would only buy a vintage Singer sewing machine that is not plastic or has plastic parts. I have several that I have picked up at flea markets, thrift sales, yard sales etc. I bought them for my grandchildren to learn on but once we cleaned them and oiled them, I started using them. I have pieced on them, no heavy duty quilting, but I do believe they can handle it. I took one to a repair man to adjust and he had no problem doing it. These old machines are work horses, they can handle just about anything. I love anything vintage and these are fabulous. Several women I know have bought them too. Even my 1916 Singer works great. Just stay away from the plastic sewing machines, they aren't very good.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 AM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my 201. :mrgreen: I consider mine to be worth well over $75.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
ETA-- I think I just remembered the objection to 201 vs 15-91 -- isn't the 201 belt driven rather than solid gears? seems like I remember there being concerns about over heating and not being as strong to handle the bulk... but I think it's all theory since these machines have been around for 100+ years some of them and are still chugging along and have sewed far more difficult things than a quilt sandwich
Well I have a direct drive Singer 201 and I think the one she is looking at might be too. I had a belt driven one but the motor did not work when we bought it and we put it in a treadle base. It treadles very nicely, has the reverse and drop feed dog. (not that I ever plan to free motion on a treadle) I'll ask DH when he comes in for lunch. He was the one that researched it all and told me what he had found. For the longest time he was not hearing me about needing another sewing machine (Singer 201 direct drive). Hmmm maybe could it have anything to do with the 17 or so other vintage sewing machines already living at the house. They all followed a vintage singer 15-91 home. LOL[/quote]

The Singer 201-2 is gear-driven. I have 3 and love them. I also have two 15-91's...love them, too. They're both good machines for quilting. I think $75 is a great price for a 201-2, but it won't hurt to offer less...they just might accept it.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 AM

Oh, I am so glad to hear that you have 17 sewing machines, I thought it was just me with this passion for them !! Even my DH looks for them now and fiddles around with them for fun.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
Oh, I am so glad to hear that you have 17 sewing machines, I thought it was just me with this passion for them !! Even my DH looks for them now and fiddles around with them for fun.
I also love the vintage machines. My husband and I both search for them and repair them. We've had machines that were so dirty and rusty and frozen solid and you could never imagine that they could turn into a beautiful, working sewing machine. I love seeing them brought back to life. I have 20+ vintage machines (see...I even lost count!) and they are all in great sewing condition and I use them all. I have a couple of newer ones, but hardly ever use them.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM

[quote=Charlee]
Thanks Charlee! I have both but have not played with the 201 direct drive yet. I do have a 201 in treadle and love that machine. Do you remember why some people do not like using the 201 for quilting? I know I like the extra troath space and hope to quilt on it.
No, I don't know why some people don't like the 201 for quilting...I don't recall hearing of anyone that didn't? (But then again, I miss a lot that happens...stupid job!! ;) )[/quot
---I don't know if anywhere she said that it IS a 201??
they do not have cams. the difference from 201 & 15-91 for
FMQ is the bobbin case position. the 201 is flat, drop-in, the 15-91 is vertical bobbin. the thread travels an extra loop, or
something like that, more than the 15. I love quilting on the 210, but the bobbin is quite a job to change under a quilt!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Thanks Charlee! I have both but have not played with the 201 direct drive yet. I do have a 201 in treadle and love that machine. Do you remember why some people do not like using the 201 for quilting? I know I like the extra troath space and hope to quilt on it.
No, I don't know why some people don't like the 201 for quilting...I don't recall hearing of anyone that didn't? (But then again, I miss a lot that happens...stupid job!! ;) )
I believe it has to do with quality of sts, skipped sts, etc. due to the horizontal hook/bobbin and the thread having to make a 90 degree turn. The machines with vertical hooks (like the 15-91 and my Bernina Record 830) will FMQ better. The thread moves in a straight line out of the bobbin, no 90 degree turn. I think certain 201s will be better at quilting than others, just depending on how well they have been used and cared for, and are adjusted. Mileage may vary...
Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

DH has developed a passion for them and he buys and fixes them for me.

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
:-P