Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
VSMS............ Attachments Thread >

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
it would really help us "dial/up network" unfortunate people to include only 3 pictures per post....that way we can get them all. they just won't load past that many.
Point taken, will try to remember! :)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 AM

This is an old manual for one of the early buttonholers - although I think yours is even older. It can at least give you an idea of how it works. :)

Old Stye Buttonholer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233292[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-233286.pdf (1.15 MB, 202 views)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the pdf...I saved it. I do have the puzzle box and it's a dark oak color and in really good condition. The cabinet & sewing machine had been stored in her basement & the cabinet has been painted. She said that at one time it had curved doors that closed in the front, but she took them off & threw them away. It was a machine that she inherited from her grandmother...my husband's great grandmother. We were told that it would cost too much to repair the cabinet. As you can see from the picture, it's in sad shape.

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Debbie, that's beautiful! I have the twin of this 27 with "Tiffany" or "gingerbread" decals, though your decals appear to be in better condition than mine.

It looks like you have three slightly different kinds of rufflers across the top - the one on the far right appears to be one of the oldest ones that would have originally come with the 27 and it requires the use of a shirring plate.

On the next row, I think you have an early buttonholer, an underbraider and a shirring plate, then the plates that probably came with the 27 originally. You have a variety of hemmer attachments and I think it may have the "host" hemmer foot there near the quilting bar, but I can't tell for sure.

You have the quilting foot with guide, a narrow hemmer, an elastic puller, a cloth guide and a bias cutting guide that goes on your scissors.

It also looks like you have an interesting little embroidery foot near the clamp on the quilting bar - if so, it will clip onto the toe of the normal foot and feed cord into place to be stitched down.

This is a pdf of the attachments in their "puzzle box" from 1890 - a little earlier than your machine, but some of the attachments will work the same as shown. :)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-233287.jpe
Views:	410
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	233293  
Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 AM

How sad. :( I would probably strip it and refinish it anyway - people do part out these old parlor cabinets and sell the parts on eBay occasionally, so you might find the doors at some point. They're likely to be expensive that way - if you like to haunt junk stores, you may find the doors or a partial cabinet from which you can cannibalize whatever parts you need and that would likely be less expensive. I think this style is called "Eastlake," or something like that?

Monetarily, no - it's probably not worth it to restore it. It may not ever be "worth" the amount that you put in to refurbing it. But oh.... to have such a beautiful machine and cabinet handed down in your family - and one that still runs beautifully - that would be worth a lot to me. :)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM

I found an old puzzle box, in with a VS II or III White cabinet, that had a singer 201-2 head in it. Talk about mis matched stuff. The box is NOT marked Singer. Did other companies make puzzle boxes?

Here is a picture... not the best I fear. Things appear to be missing. The bits and pieces that are loose, include the spring, discs and backplate for an old style tension system, a needle clamp, a sideclamp reg. foot, a side clamp wierd foot, that's actually sharp like a knife, a spool pin, a rolled, long, pin cover type thing (made to cover up a pointy bodkin maybe?) and some other gadget that I have no clue what it is.

The only thing on the box is a faint oval stamped into the wood says, Patented 188?2 or 7? then February xx. Can't really read it. No other markings. Okay, what is all this stuff? I KNOW it doesn't belong to the 201-2. Did White use puzzle boxes?

Thanks! kim

puz box and bits inside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233380[/ATTACH]

Name:	Attachment-233374.jpe
Views:	222
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	233380  
Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 AM

Received a new toy last night, a Greist zigzagger for low-shank, straight stitch machines. I have no instruction book, so I am going on what I found online as to the operation. (If there is one out there, I'd love a copy).

I did have some problems with "tunneling" of the fabric (2 layers of cotton material) that I can't quite figure out, but otherwise it was pretty simple to use. I tried it on 2 pieces of fabric and batting, and this problem resolved.

It attaches directly to the presser bar and hooks around the needle screw (?) just like my modern walking foot. It moves the fabric back and forth to make the zigzag patterns.

It came with 6 cams for different patterns. These attach to the machine with a little snap holder on one side. (Literally is a little black snap, like on clothing). These can be changed without removing the whole thing. The zigzag width is adjustable. You can also disengage the cam and do straight stitch if needed.

On the machine, looks like I need to de-lint!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233376[/ATTACH]

Examples of some of the cams and patterns.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233377[/ATTACH]

The other side, notice the black snap for attaching cams.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233378[/ATTACH]

Name:	Attachment-233370.jpe
Views:	169
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	233376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-233371.jpe
Views:	176
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	233377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-233372.jpe
Views:	219
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	233378  
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Bennett,
Where did you find your Greist zigzagger? I'ld love to find one of those for my Featherweight.

Let us know, please!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by VickyS
Bennett,
Where did you find your Greist zigzagger? I'ld love to find one of those for my Featherweight.

Let us know, please!
I found one for sale on Bonanza, which is a site I hadn't heard of before, so this was my 1st experience. Turned out pretty good. I had bid on one on e-bay, but didn't win. This one was around $15 after the shipping, which seemed reasonable to me. I went ahead and snatched it up since I have no patience and didn't want to wait! :)
Old 07-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
I found an old puzzle box, in with a VS II or III White cabinet, that had a singer 201-2 head in it. Talk about mis matched stuff. The box is NOT marked Singer. Did other companies make puzzle boxes?

Here is a picture... not the best I fear. Things appear to be missing. The bits and pieces that are loose, include the spring, discs and backplate for an old style tension system, a needle clamp, a sideclamp reg. foot, a side clamp wierd foot, that's actually sharp like a knife, a spool pin, a rolled, long, pin cover type thing (made to cover up a pointy bodkin maybe?) and some other gadget that I have no clue what it is.

The only thing on the box is a faint oval stamped into the wood says, Patented 188?2 or 7? then February xx. Can't really read it. No other markings. Okay, what is all this stuff? I KNOW it doesn't belong to the 201-2. Did White use puzzle boxes?

Thanks! kim
The "puzzle" boxes (that's a modern term, btw) were patented in 1889, and distributed by Singer....I'm not sure when they stopped distribution. Those attachments SHOULD fit your 201-2 as well as any of your other short shank Singers...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:49 PM

Bennett, that is way cool...I want one! :lol:
I have the Singer one with the cams...that one looks neater!