Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with mid-arm quilting machine >

Problem with mid-arm quilting machine

Problem with mid-arm quilting machine

Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks, Sue......I'll let you know.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

You can also try a metallic needle. It's not as hefty as a topstitch, but the hole & scarf are designed to minimize shredding of delicate metallic thread. If the other suggestions don't work, you might want to try this.
BTW, I don't have the same set up as you, but my dealer told me to have the backing come over the top.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions....I'm keeping all of them on case I have trouble again. Right now I'm back in the quilting business! woo hoo!! My backing was rolling as it should. I was too upset at the time to realize it. Duh! The 16 needle did the trick! That's again..you saved my sanity and the life of whoever was walking outside my window when threw the machine out! And I was gettin' real close. Lol
Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 AM

Simple solution, problem solved...it's gonna be a goood day. Give thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:08 AM

I had an awful shredding problem on a lap quilt, but it was the thread. Once I changed to a 'non-metallic' thread of a good quality, the problem was solved.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 AM

Keep this hint in mind, too..... Rolling the backing too tight will cause problems. Don't be afraid to let it be loose...a quarter should NOT bounce on it!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:10 AM

I have a Babyloc Quilters Proffessional on a New Joy frame and I also had problems with the thread breaking-a friend of mine who owns a quilt shop told me to put silicone on thread - NO MORE BREAKING OF THREAD-I have a small bottle of silicone and squeeze on a few lines across the cone it did the job
Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 PM

I have the same machine on a Gracy II frame. Was having the same problem and while talking to the frame company on another issue I mentioned that the thread was breaking too often and he suggested the fabric was too high and try lowering the rod so the fabric was not floating but a bit lower than the plate of the machine. - So I lowered the rod and the thread stopped breaking. No needle change necessary.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 PM

I solved my problem by ditching the stitch regulator. Did not realize that not only was the thing missing large areas of stitches, but as soon as I took it off, my thread breakage problem disappeared.
Decided I can quilt without the regulator.
Happy days are here again, and the stockpile of unfinished quilts can now be tackled.

Carole
Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 PM

I have a Juki on a pennywinkle and had the same problem I to had to loosen the quilt top and use 16 or 18 needle. I talked to Sue Patton she is a longarm quilter who teaches longarm quilting and she said it didn't matter what batting you use or thread although cotton does break a little more then and others. Then you have to slow down you must give the needle time to get in the quilt and come back up especially when doing curves....