Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first memories of Quilts were.... >

My first memories of Quilts were....

My first memories of Quilts were....

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM

My first memories are of my grandmother and a twin size quilt that made it's way to my bed and then stayed! I was only little girl, maybe 4 or 5, but I loved it. It was a simple patchwork of basic cotton on the front, and plain white flannel on the back, with no batting. I still have that quilt and use it frequently because it is light weight. I think it is what has pushed me into my addiction today...LOL.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM

My quilt was from my great grandmother. She made it for me sometime in the late 1940's. The bad memory attached to this quilt was that I spit out my cough medicine because it tasted so awful, and stained the quilt with pink cough medicine. However, I remember that quilt on my youth bed and that it was very special.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Mine was what we called the rag bag. This was a bag that old clothes or clothes that were out grown were put to be cut up and used in quilts for our beds. The other memory was the quilt frame that hung from the ceiling mostly in the winter time. This frame usually in my bed room. It would hang partly over my bed at night and lowered during the day so that the quilting could be done. Back then all the tops were pieced by hand and quilted by hand.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM

I remember when I was about 4 years old sleeping in a cold bedroom at my great grandmother's house with about 4 or 5 heavy quilts on top of me. I was on my back the whole night because I couldn't move from the weight of the quilts.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 PM

I remember my grandmother making a quilt with the ribbons that came off the wreaths of my grandfather, when he died in 1956. She wanted to save the ribbons, so she used them in a quilt. I still have the quilt.
Both of my grandmothers made quilts and can also remember sleeping under them at their house.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:42 PM

I love reading all these memories. Has anyone ever read the book "Quilters"? Reminds me of a more recent version of that...

My earliest memories of quilts are of a couple of wall-hangings that were given to me when I was a baby.

One of my favorite quilt memories, though, is the summer of 1997, a year after I'd learned to quilt. I'd just graduated high school and went to visit my grandmother (who was the one who had taught me to quilt) and her husband in Virginia. Just a couple of days after I arrived, my grandfather died of a brain aneurism. Just a few days later, a large quilt show was held by my grandmother's guild, and her quilt (which was really a masterpiece- a replica of a quilt that had historical significance in her area) won best in show. It was a bittersweet event. I ended up staying with my grandmother for the rest of the summer, visiting with family I'd never met before, and continuing to attend classes and quilting groups with her. I loved that time and I still feel nostalgic when I think of that summer.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady
I remember when I was about 4 years old sleeping in a cold bedroom at my great grandmother's house with about 4 or 5 heavy quilts on top of me. I was on my back the whole night because I couldn't move from the weight of the quilts.
I laughed out loud at this because that is exactly what happened when I slept at my Grandmother's house.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:53 PM

I always remember my gtrandmother having a quilt in a frame. She pieced them on a Singer treadle machine. I can still remember the aroma of her home made bread baking and watching as she quilted. For highschool graduation she gave me a simple four patch made of flannel. Oh how warm it was, flannel front and back. I took it to nursing school, used it after I married and both of my children were able to enjoy it also. It started out as a full size, and was cut down many times because of wear. I am so glad we all got to know Grandma and snuzzle under one of her "quilts of love".
Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 PM

one grandmother made simple scrappy squares into quilts and tied them. she would sit sometimes with me when i was little and tell me where each square came from- my mom's dress when she was 4, my uncle's good pants when he started school, etc.,
my other grandmother collected quilts. she had a wonderful log cabin quilt that went to my mom and dad and covered their bed for 20 yrs. and was going to come to me in the future. well, my sister got there first and was more persuasive.lol. but i won in the end--my grandmother had collected a silk satin and velvet graveyard quilt which as she told me was a crazy quilt made by a group and it was passed around to the members. when one of the quilters died the year was added to her block. the last quilter's family inherited the quilt. the blocks are embellished with lots of embroidery. gramma told me she knew it was a graveyard quilt because each block was 'fenced' in . that was my wedding present from my grandmother. my country grandma used to tuck us in under her winter quilts or summer quilts in vermont in an old iron bed. i thought it was sooo much better than sleeping at home! i have 3 country quilts that need to be repatched in places and definitely re'stuffed' and either tied or quilted. i expect i'll tie them since it's what they were. thanks for taking me back....
Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 PM

I can remember as a child sitting under my grandmothers quilting frame that had been lowered from the ceiling on chains. It was in what today would be the den. The living room was kept only for company with its red and blue horsehair furniture, a piano and 3 beautiful inlaid mother of pearl step tables that my uncle had sent home from Japan during WW II. Finished quilts were stacked in the corner of the bedroom next to two huge feather mattressed beds. Wonderful times. All Grandmammys quilts were later burned in a fire.