Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old School Quilting >

Old School Quilting

Old School Quilting

Old 07-30-2011, 06:01 AM

While I don't have any grandmothers living that quilted, I do sometimes, just for fun, do a quilt completely the "old fashioned way"...I just love the slower process, the handwork, the taking time to enjoy the pieces coming together. Thanks for sharing such a neat video...and having always wanted to make a Lone Star quilt, I picked up some good hints on how to make mine!! Thanks for that!!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 AM

Wow, she made some pretty quilts! I made my first Lone Star about the year the video was made! I still hand quilt with a church group on 1x4 frames with C-clamps, but do most of my quilts today with a LA.
I noticed that she doubled her thread when hand quilting. I was taught to not do that... does anyone else double your thread?
It is amazing that her seams all came together so well even though she apparently never used an iron during the construction!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:15 AM

thank you for sharing this film.....
Old 07-30-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
the way you are all amazed at "old school quilting", I am amazed that people pay $40 for a "Die" to cut out an 8" square on an Accuquilt!!Fer cryin' out loud, it's a square!! and a big one!! How hard is that to cut out? I would rather have the $40 for fabric. I manage to quilt without all the gadgets.

Edited to add - to me, hand quilting is the best part of quiltmaking - I get to sit back in a comfy chair with my lap frame, watch TV or listen to music. Machine sewing is not my idea of a good time and I don't think I would like machine quilting.
Thank you. You expressed my feelings 100%.

I'm trying to teach myself to machine quilt, but to me, it's just sewing.

I did recently buy a rotary cutter, but I used to cut my templates from cardboard boxes and hand cut my pieces. I'm just a little bit afraid of my rotary cutter.

I started a thread the other day about using 2 strands of thread. I finally broke down and bought actual hand quilting thread. I'll admit I like the hand quilting thread better.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:17 AM

That was an awesome video. Thank you so very much.
I am a newbie. I have always done cheater baby quilts.

First "real" quilt I did was this year and wasn't quite perfect but I wanted a blanket of love for a dear friend undergoing chemo.
I Loved the link.. Funny that star quilt is what I want to make for my bed.

Dawn
Old 07-30-2011, 06:21 AM

WOW!!! I just watched these films and I stand in
awe of these ladies!!!! How these ladies made
their quilts without pressing all the squares first
and then the home made quilting frame!!! So easy
to do today if we wouldn't mind messing up our
expensive living rooms.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by chergram
I tried to watch but could not get the sound would very much like to watch as I am very interested in doing quilts the old time way I tried to turn up sound as as much would go on computer but did not work can some one tell me how to get sound up so can hear if there is anyone on the board that still cuts with sissors and template frugal quilting I would very much like to hear from them so pm me if interested
The sound on the video is almost nonexistent. I didn't have time to watch the entire video and will try again later, but I can't hear what they're saying at all. These newer computers have horrible sound cards.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the link. I made my first quilts about this time, cereal box templates and all. I really am in awe of anyone whom can make inset triangles by cutting with scissors without marking the fabric.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 AM

Wow...I used to pass her place all the time when I was working. I had to drive up to Eugene or Salem a lot and took that road. I was always late and in a hurry on the way up and tired and just wanted to get home after a long day on the road on my way home. She had a big sign "quilts for sale", this was back in the 90's.
Also I was hesitant to stop as I knew I was not going to buy anything as I made my own quilts. I did not think I should bother her just because I was curious. One day when I drove by I saw the house was torn down and then a little later the house across the road was gone too. To be fair they were very tumbled down and raggedy. This film allowed me to meet the quilter and see her home. She and her place reminded me of my own dear MIL and her place. She is the one who taught me to quilt. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 AM

I still hand quilt all my quilts. I learned from my mother who is now 85 years old and still helps me hand quilt.