Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old School Quilting >

Old School Quilting

Old School Quilting

Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sixfootroad
That's the way I learned from my mother 40 years ago, and that's the way I still do it! There are many of us out there, believe it or not. I come from the "old school" of "keep it simple".
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 AM

I remember a story (true story) that mom told about some cousins. Many years ago 2-3 ladies were working together and decided to make a double wedding ring quilt. They cut their cardboard templates and proceeded to trace around them with pencil. Then they started cutting out the pieces with scissors. After sewing some parts together they discovered that the sections didn't fit together! What they finally discovered was that they had used the same cardboard templates for ALL the tracing and pressing the pencil along the sides gradually wore away the sides and the last pieces traced were small than the first ones traced. I don't know what they did with those useless pieces of fabric. I doubt if they knew about crumb quilts! Moral of the story, when using cardboard templates...make several sets and don't use each set too long!!! Long live plastic templates!!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 AM

that was very interesting..amazing work
Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 AM

What a FANTASTIC film! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I noticed that she never used pins to hold the fabric together when she sewed. Her patterns were so beautiful!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 AM

That's the way my mother quilted, always from scraps or old clothing. I am in awe of the beautiful quilts she made, her eye for color and what she had to work with is totally amazing, oh how I admire those who started us on our journeys.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 AM

That was awesome!!! Great memories of simpler quieter times for me.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:20 AM

I am 61 yrs young...this brought back lots of great memories of how my Grandmom and her best friend made their quilts...and all of our family are still using them...thank you ...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 AM

Thank you for sharing that with us! Such a treasure to see, for me anyway. That is how my grandmother's quilted many years ago. I remember the wooden quilt frame that hung in my grandmother's living room from the ceiling.

I am in awe of those who still hand cut templates and fabric with scissors. I don't have the skill or patience to do it that way. And if I did, my arthritic hands and elbow would slow me to a crawl. I am very grateful for the modern methods of quilting today. It lets me join in on a wonderful and creative hobby.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Did any of you scroll down and click on the link "Quilts in Women's Lives"? Also very interesting. Thank you for sharing a link to our heritage - and memories of our mothers and grandmothers (and also the men who took part). I'm reminded that it's not what method we use to make our quilts - it's the joy they bring to ourselves and to others and the opportunity to share a this joy.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:43 AM

that's the way I always did it. I resisted all the new ways until the old fingers started to get arthritis. I still use templates and scissors so I can take advantage of all the small pieces of material. Can't do that with the rotary cutters without wasting material. I do love using the rotary cutters etc. now, especially for big cutting jobs. I still hand quilt.