Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old School Quilting >

Old School Quilting

Old School Quilting

Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 AM

WOW!! That sure was an inspiring video!! :thumbup: I loved watching how she did each step the "old way" and how easy she made it look. No pins, I didn't even see her iron?? Beautiful piecing and no cursing over intersections that didn't match cuz they all seemed to go together so well.

Her template making, marking, ways of measuring and fabric tearing were really neat. Shows us what we CAN do without a lot of newfangled tools and gadgets!

The addition of her family, their activities and that too cute kitten just made it complete. Well worth the time to check it out. :thumbup:

Thanks so much for sharing,
Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the link.

I remember piecing with my mom many years ago. First we drew and cut templates out of cereal boxes, then drew around them with a pencil and cut out with scissors. It wasn't a very fast method, but it got the job done all the same. I can still picture all those squares of material laid out on the kitchen floor where I got to arrange them into a pattern before she sewed them together. Then we, well mostly she I'm sure, tied the quilt with red yarn.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:18 AM

So interesting, thanks a lot for the link. Wonder if Kathleen Ware is still quilting and selling?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 AM

I so appreciate the abilities that went into making things in old-fashioned ways. When I think of what our ancestors did with so very little, I'm very humbled. I made my first quilt completely by hand and am still glad I learned that way. I am grateful for some of those gadgets to make things a little easier, but what skill and patience it takes to do without them!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
I remember a story (true story) that mom told about some cousins. Many years ago 2-3 ladies were working together and decided to make a double wedding ring quilt. They cut their cardboard templates and proceeded to trace around them with pencil. Then they started cutting out the pieces with scissors. After sewing some parts together they discovered that the sections didn't fit together! What they finally discovered was that they had used the same cardboard templates for ALL the tracing and pressing the pencil along the sides gradually wore away the sides and the last pieces traced were small than the first ones traced. I don't know what they did with those useless pieces of fabric. I doubt if they knew about crumb quilts! Moral of the story, when using cardboard templates...make several sets and don't use each set too long!!! Long live plastic templates!!!!
I did exactly this very same thing with Dresden Plates. I was moving to another state and could only take what could fit in my old Dodge-mobile, (it was one of those big old boats). Anyway I could not take my treasured scrap box so I cut out several quilts worth of Dresden plates. Later, after I had moved, I started to put these together, all went well until halfway into the pile and 12 plate would no long do, up to 13, 14, 15, whew 16 needed. Now of course I did not have matching fabric to add in plates so they got cut from what I had. The last quilt had one of every size and some had segments of, well, creative widths. How ever all the quilts got made and the odd one got taken by a grandson as it was "different". Just goes to show that even an odd ball can find love. That grandson is in his twenties now and still has that nearly loved to death quilt.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM

that is the way my mom did it and she was a great quilter. I did it that way until I started to take classes and that is when the new things started .
Old 07-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Thank you! I love this 'old way' of quilting, it has some sweet perfume of calm and taking time to live.

Patricia
Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Oh Mike, that was wonderful. What a beaut. visit to their home. It's just amazing the work that goes into her quilts. It was so touching to see how her husb. helped her. I laughed when she turned a quilt over on her sew. mach. & there was a kitten playing.
Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I loved it.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks so much for the movie link. I just finished watching it and wondered why I bought yet another ruler yesterday. I really enjoyed the film! And I really admire the skills!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:37 AM

Though the streaming was very intermittent, I watched the whole thing and remembered way back when I first started quilting and I did it the exact same way . . even saw an old brass hook scale hanging on the left door frame as the customer was walking into the back room, that I still have today in my kitchen . . . I used sandpaper for templates so they would not slip or old x-ray films (soaked in the tub with bleach for hours removes the dark parts and leaves behind a nice stiff transparent plastic for cutting templates). Wow, it is sooo much easier today even though I am having a difficult time understanding all the terminology . . . Thanks for sharing the site and letting me relive some incredible memories of a time long gone by.