Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batik backing for batik quilt top? >

Batik backing for batik quilt top?

Batik backing for batik quilt top?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Their 108" Batik backing fabric is gorgeous! And a great selection, more than I've seen elsewhere. The only prices I saw were for $9.99 for a half yard. Do they have any for less that I missed?

Originally Posted by Shelley
Go to SewBatik.com Their batik wide backs are made of goods that don't have that really tight weave, and the fabrics are beautiful. These are really great people to work with, too!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM

I use a LOT of batiks for my quilts. What I have started to do is to make extra blocks from the pattern on the front and then mix them with a GOOD quality wide muslin (either white or natural) for the backs. They look very custom and my quilter is delighted about quilting them since her beautiful quilting shows up so well on the backs.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
Their 108" Batik backing fabric is gorgeous! And a great selection, more than I've seen elsewhere. The only prices I saw were for $9.99 for a half yard. Do they have any for less that I missed?

Originally Posted by Shelley
Go to SewBatik.com Their batik wide backs are made of goods that don't have that really tight weave, and the fabrics are beautiful. These are really great people to work with, too!
Sometimes they do have sales - get on their mailing list. They also usually have a booth at the large quilt shows. I LOVE their flannel!

I personally don't like using regular batik fabrics for the backs of quilts. The fabric has such a tight weave that the needle breaks the threads instead of going between the threads. I hear a Pop-Pop-Pop while stitching as those threads break. With the SewBatik backs, the weave is like regular quilt-shop quality fabrics.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 AM

I personally don't like using regular batik fabrics for the backs of quilts. The fabric has such a tight weave that the needle breaks the threads instead of going between the threads. I hear a Pop-Pop-Pop while stitching as those threads break.
I took a couple of classes with Laurie Shiffrin who uses batiks almost exclusively in her quilts. She uses 'jeans' needles when sewing batiks so I gave it a try and it really does make a difference. Helps the needle go through the fabric much easier.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 PM

I think that you can use whatever you want to use. After all, in the old days, quilts were made with whatever was on hand. Go with what suits you best. Unless of course, you are shooting for a prizewinning quilt, then refer to the experts.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:36 PM

I've used "Shadowplay" by Maywood Studio on the backs of my batik quilts and they look fine!! Comes in (I think) almost 200 different colors and it's kind of "marbled" so I think it blends well with batik fronts.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 PM

I can see how Shadowplay would work well for backing. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by bob1414
I've used "Shadowplay" by Maywood Studio on the backs of my batik quilts and they look fine!! Comes in (I think) almost 200 different colors and it's kind of "marbled" so I think it blends well with batik fronts.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info. The LQS ladies told me to not mix batik and regular cotton in a quilt top. They said the texture is different and would not stretch and shrink the same when washed. Today they told me I need Batik backing for a batiq quilt top -- they didn't explain that one.
They are correct on the mixing in the top part. Since batiks are heavily washed they do not shrink like other cottons. They are also dyed on a tighter woven Griege good.
BUT, you do NOT need a batik on the back! I would just make sure and wash your backing really well, and then use a batik for the binding!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 PM

Wow! I'm in trouble. I am making a baby pinwheel for my DIL's 1st baby. I mixed batiks and other cottons and then have a batik for the backing. I think I hear the quilt police. Where can I hide? I haven't been quilting long and had never heard any of those batik "rules". I hope the quilt isn't all messed up. I did prewash and even used vinegar to set the colors. I guess it will be a lesson learned.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the info. The LQS ladies told me to not mix batik and regular cotton in a quilt top. They said the texture is different and would not stretch and shrink the same when washed. Today they told me I need Batik backing for a batiq quilt top -- they didn't explain that one.
They do have a point about a potential difference in rates of shrinkage. But to me, the solution would be obvious: pre-wash all the fabrics going into the top, get all the shrinking that is going to happen done with and then go for it!