Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help unlearning childhood habit >

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM
EC

I have the opposite problem. Too many UFOs. Makes for a very disorganized (clever word for messy) sewing room. Trying to clean it up now and making a "to be finished" pile. Hopefully, I will finish this pile before starting on anything else with a final goal of no more than two projects at a time.

Maybe you could expand your one at a time limit to two. Then you could bounce between them when you feel like you've hit a roadblock.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I almost always finish one before I start another. Only exception is if I find someone that needs a quilt, doesn't happen too often. This is just me, nothing from my childhood caused it.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:01 PM

no i just start and finish and add new projects when i want to
remember u will do better w/ change
pick 2 patterns u want to make and cut them up and take turns working on them
u will have 2 projects instead of one finished :thumbup:
Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM

Well, what do you think of this idea? It's hard to have just one project going because there's always something new and exciting to try and, I find that if I wait, the fabric, pattern, instructions, etc. are gone. So what about using the old alarm clock trick. Allow an hour to make the beds, do the dishes and straighten up, an hour to work on one project, an hour to work on another, an hour to work on another, an hour to fix supper, etc....or (whatever is current in your life...shopping, visiting, etc.) And when the alarm goes off, STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING IMMEDIATELY, and move on to the next project. This way you can still finish your projects AND have more than one going at the same time.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM

I am guilty of having many projects going at one time. I feel comfortable with unfinished projects. It keeps me from becoming bored with on that is taking longer to finish than I had thought. I also often start cutting a new project just before I start quilting another. More incentive to get that quilting done, so I can start the sewing on the next.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM

I had trouble with the same thing - needing to finish one before starting the next. I've finally been able to justify having 2 projects . . . now even 3 going at the same time. Here is how I did it :) I'm working on a Civil War quilt for me at home - it's the Marcus Brothers Civil War Tribute Quilt so it's a pretty big project. I also do charity quilts for Quilts for Kids and my local Quilt Guild. I switch between 2 at home - the Civil War and a charity one. Just recently, I purchased a Janome 3/4 size machine that I sew on at lunch. I can piece a top (bringing it home to do the ironing and cutting/recutting) in a week during lunch. Since I can finish the charity ones really quickly, I feel like I'm getting something accomplished while working on the longer project!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 PM

I like to piece in the summer and quilt in the winter. I have
5 quilts being pieced now. some by hand and some by machine. I have them in the plastic totes. If I go on a long car ride I take the hand applique and hand pieced tote. When I am with my sit and stitch group we at times will bring machines and piece. When winter comes I hand quilt when I want to watch a good program or if bored I will machine quilt the others. So we all have our hang-ups. I started in 1983 with a queen size sampler and from start to finish it took me years because I wasn't going to start another. It was hand pieced and hand quilted etc. So now I enjoy many .................................... kjm_quilter
Old 07-31-2011, 06:11 PM

I too smith opposite and trying to finish a few over over 125 projects that are started or at least all picked out and ready to go. Now I must get off here and start my machine. Good luck to you.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:36 PM

I too am in my 60's and I commend you for pushing onward to finish your project. You would be surprised at how many of us have numerous & wonderful things we have never finished. Don't be hard on yourself - pat yourself on the back! Maybe a very small thing like a little pin cushion for someone or a really pretty piece to connect to your bra straps for tops too low would help. Then you could get back to your work and still have little pieces of work to make you feel proud.
Dolores
Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by kacklebird
I wish I could be the type that starts and finishes something before starting another project. My ADD brain won't allow it. hehehe I too have a couple of UFO's.
Sounds like you and I have the same type of brain. Welcome to the club! There are probable more out there like us. I wish we could all get together and finish our projects! And I bet there would be lots of laughter!