Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help unlearning childhood habit >

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM

Here is my personal take on the situation. I too am 60+, 64 actually. I don't like to have more than one large project going at a time, however I don't count smaller things that I can finish in a few days.
A simple baby quilt, a small wall hanging, using up some scraps to make strip blocks; those are the kinds of things I allow myself to start anytime I feel like I need a break from the large project I am working on. Nothing with a tricky or complex pattern, maybe a panel to add a few blocks and borders around, or some simple 9Ps. Well, you get the idea.
This way, I stay true to having only one major project at a time, while still allowing myself some sides for variety. Sort of like having the main course of a meal, the roast, but adding potatoes and salad for balance and interest. No one wants to just eat roast all the time. :D
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Dee

I don't worry about the small things anymore. I do what makes me happy. Although these kitchen curtains are a little trying, so then I go to my other projects. So have fun>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM

I think what ever works for you. For the first four years I did quilting I worked on one thing at a time and I have learnt now to extend myself a little and I have different projects at different stages. I took some time to get used to doing it but I think in the long run it has helped me try more things and I still get them done - just over a longer time span. Whatever you do - it needs to be fun for you. There are enough things that "need" to be done and done a certain way. I am not going to restrict my hobbie and pleasure activity to please others. Enjoy your own style and tweak it if need be.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 PM

I finish one before I start another. UFO's would really stress me.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 PM

I try to keep one quilt going at a time. A least one Large quilt on my quilting frame, one baby quilt that I can get done reasonably fast and if I can't do that in front of the TV then I have a knitting/crochet project going. Thats what I'm doing now. The baby quilt is to sell and the crochet purse is sold also. Fun stuff! keeps me busy when I'm not working my income job as a nurse on the weekends. Oh, I almost forgot. I"m finishing valances for my great room. Just have to put on the gromet's.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:29 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I used to be a 'serial quilter' too but then something in my brain clicked and 'allowed' me to have multiple projects! You say you're worried about the quality of your work if you multi-task - I feel for me that I'm more likely to do second rate work if I MAKE myself finish something I've lost interest in than if I switch to something else. Everything will get done in the end - or not but hey, it's not the end of the world. :mrgreen:
The exception is commissions or gifts with deadlines or pieces for competitions. If there's a deadline, you just HAVE to get it done. The other stuff, well I do what I fancy and when because even though I now am partly doing this as 'work' at heart, it's still a hobby so if I'm not loving it, what's the point? :-D
Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by lscho4jm
Wish I could help but I have no idea why I have 3 or 4 books going at one time, a dozen quilt projects going and housework never caught up. :)
And I can add to that, 2 or 3 different knitting items :)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 AM

I actually try to have three projects at the same time. One in what I call each stage of the process. For example, I have one that I am cutting out, one that I am in the process of piecing and one that I am in the process of quilting. That way I don't have to sit and just do one part of the process until all done. If my fingers hurt from quilting, I take a break and do a little piecing or cutting on the next two in the que.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
I do one top at a time, but have a lot of tops stored in boxes that have to be sandwiched & quilted, plus I've been hand quilting 2 king sized quilts for years. However, those are not a problem for me ... my problem is the need for perfection. All my seams, points, etc. must be perfect. I can live with something being 1 thread-width off, but any more than that, I have to re-do. The point being is that I un-sew a LOT and spend much time making corrections. This is particularly annoying when I've almost completed a quilt top and am down to the big stuff like putting rows together and attaching borders. Although I am pleased with the final result, I am truly sick of it by the time I get done.
Are we twins?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 AM

I didn't start quilting until about 15 years ago. Working for Hancocks part time gave me opportunity to be in a fabric store more than I should have. After 11 years of working a full time job as a secretary and part time at the fabric store I have more than enough stash. I love scrap quilts the best I have about 5 or 6 projects in some level of progress. I guess the reason I love quilting is that it satisfies my creative nature. Unless I'm really "hook" on a pattern or have a deadline I can go from one project to another without much problem. I do get project finished and seldom in a hurry to get it done. Like I said unless there is a deadline. Quilting is the one area of my life that I have control over, so I'm seldom in a hurry. My son is 35 and I've been divorced since he was 3. Quilting has been my drug of choice. It's a very creative outlet for me. It's helped me break many bad habits. Such as I have to be perfect or no one will love me. I use to think I had to tell were all my mistakes were or I'd be cheating. Well if i don't tell you you probably won't ever now. And most importantly if you a true friend, you'll still love me any way. When I first started quilting I thought I should be able to relax. I wasn't relaxing. I've since learned to relax and discovered that I'm really very good at color selection and very creative. So my advise to you is, don't forget to breath. It's very important. Mix up the rules. Stay with the project until it's done or don't. It's you hobbie, it's your outlet, ENJOY!!!!!