Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Outdated UFOs >

Outdated UFOs

Outdated UFOs

Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 AM

Donation is such a good idea. I started a bargello quilt in a class and got as far as sewing the strips together. I decided I didn't like the color combination and told a friend that I was going to throw it away. She said she would finish it so I gave it to her. I haven't thought about it again. Whatever she does with it is OK with me. I'm sure she will donate it somewhere. That's if she ever finishes it. It's out of my sight and didn't get tossed into the garbage.
Sue
Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 AM

Yes--donate them.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

OMG - I didn't think ANY quilt was EVER outdated, regardless of our decor - we seem to call 'older' quilts "treasures" when we see them now. To me they represent the love SOMEONE put into every stitch to provide comfort & warmth for people they loved.

Someday these will be "treasures" also - hopefully to your own family. I have a quilt made by my grand mother & HER mother the year my mom was PG w/me (1934) - IT IS A REAL "TREASURE" TO ME & my dgtr already loves it, knowing it will someday be hers.

Sorry to be so vocal - guess my age is really showing when it comes to beautiful quilts. :oops:

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love. :lol:
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
OMG - I didn't think ANY quilt was EVER outdated, regardless of our decor - we seem to call 'older' quilts "treasures" when we see them now. To me they represent the love SOMEONE put into every stitch to provide comfort & warmth for people they loved.

Someday these will be "treasures" also - hopefully to your own family. I have a quilt made by my grand mother & HER mother the year my mom was PG w/me (1934) - IT IS A REAL "TREASURE" TO ME & my dgtr already loves it, knowing it will someday be hers.

It's funny you said that, because the quilts I love the best are ones that look antique. I primarily make quilts using Civil War and 1930s repro fabrics, and to me, they are timeless.

The "outdated" ones are those that I bought trendy fabric or kits for. Because they were fashionable at the time, they look dated to me. I was trying to be trendy, but, alas, I'm just an old-fashioned girl. But now I know someone will love each one of them!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SueShimomura
Originally Posted by Great-great granny

It's funny you said that, because the quilts I love the best are ones that look antique. I primarily make quilts using Civil War and 1930s repro fabrics, and to me, they are timeless.

The "outdated" ones are those that I bought trendy fabric or kits for. Because they were fashionable at the time, they look dated to me. I was trying to be trendy, but, alas, I'm just an old-fashioned girl. But now I know someone will love each one of them!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Some one else might like them. I know I always look for older fabrics. For some it has nostolgia. Maybe try the freebies donation board on QB.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

That would be wonderful!

Originally Posted by CorgiNole
Originally Posted by SharBear
Donate them!

You will know that they are being used for a good purpose.
Agreed! Donate them. Someone will love them. You can also use them to practice new techniques as you finish them.

Cheers, K
I don't know why I didn't think of donating them!!!! I know just where they'll go, too. I've been taking my best friend to chemo on Fridays and I stay there all day with her. I often help the other patients by getting them blankets and snacks, and I am often discouraged that the donated afghans are so rough and scratchy. Cotton quilts would be so nice. Thank you all for the suggestion!

K, I need to hone my longarm skills, and they will give me lots of practice!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
That would be wonderful!

Originally Posted by CorgiNole
Originally Posted by SharBear
Donate them!

You will know that they are being used for a good purpose.
Agreed! Donate them. Someone will love them. You can also use them to practice new techniques as you finish them.

Cheers, K
I don't know why I didn't think of donating them!!!! I know just where they'll go, too. I've been taking my best friend to chemo on Fridays and I stay there all day with her. I often help the other patients by getting them blankets and snacks, and I am often discouraged that the donated afghans are so rough and scratchy. Cotton quilts would be so nice. Thank you all for the suggestion!

K, I need to hone my longarm skills, and they will give me lots of practice!
CONGRATS - that is a WONDERFUL gift to give & I'm sure they will all love the warmth of them (I've heard they get 'cold' when going thru chemo).
Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Donate and take your tax write-off.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 AM

I know what you mean about "outdated: but when we stop to think about the retro fabrics, the 30s fabrics, Civil War reproduction fabrics, how can we call a quilt outdated when we are copying fabrics and designs of so long ago.

Your outdated quilts will be so welcomed and comforted by the people who are gifted with them. I can think of nothing better for you to do with them. And, as you mentioned, think of all the practice you'll get by finishing them. Good luck.