Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is It Still A Stash When..... >

Is It Still A Stash When.....

Is It Still A Stash When.....

Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Had fun reading the posts and had LOL's! So happy to hear you were able to destash and I congratulate you on that:-)
All my stash were for possible quilts. Like you, when I want to start a pattern I find I am short on some and no longer available. I have donated 3 large bags of scraps to a camp that makes quilts for children. There was enough in there to make about 4 quilts. I could have made scrappy quilts but never seem to have the time. Yes, destashing is necessary but very hard to do. As I look through my fabrics I get to enjoy the eye candy over and over again. Have started some quilts for donation for abused children. Now if I could only stay away form LQS!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 AM

My stash building is only what is on sale.
Mostly I collect background fabrics, batiks, and backing.
These I know I will use.
My favorite colors only if I LOVE the fabric and it is useable for many different blocks (small prints).
The colors have to be very adaptable to other colors, like basic greens and blues and roses, odd shades of colors are not good choices for a stash.
I also collect red, white, and blue for charity quilts.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Just so y'all know, I'd be more than happy to help any and all of you downsize your stash. Feel free to send me anything you don't think you'll ever use. I'm just sayin'..... ROFL!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 AM

I agree, I am having to stack on the floor any new fabric so am on "vacation" from just purchasing fabric. If I buy now I have to have a pattern or project in mind!!!
Originally Posted by jean1941
I do not want a big stash just to much to keep up with I have been down sizing for the last 7 years in every way so keep building more stash?? Most of time you do not have enough in stash without buying something to go with it anyway
:D :D :D
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Debbie...I love what you wrote...'She who dies with the most fabric wins...really? Then what good was it to ..(her)' It has been good for me to read all your comments and makes me think I too, need to use what I have before I buy any more. The problem with that is for example, I made a Turning Twenty (more on that later)quilt with FQ's and now I need something to put on the border. Will post pics on Pic section. But thanks everyone for reminding us that we can only sew a certain quantity of fabric in our lives.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:12 AM

As a newbie (less than 1 year) I only purchase for quilts in progress. My apartment is small so no room although I admire seeing everyones sewing spaces and gets lots of ideas, I like mine uncluttered and I seem to be more creative that way.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I can so relate to your "Stash Situation". Last year we had to leave our 3-bedroom home of 33 years and down-size to a 2-bedroom apt. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, especially since I inherited a lot of fabric when my sister passed away. She mostly made pillow shams to sell, so she had a lot of cheater panels, but a lot of racing car theme fabric. I had fabric everywhere, my bedroom, my upstairs sewing room and my downstairs sewing room. I moved part of my sewing room upstairs in the winter to save on heat. I had been purging some of my fabric to a friend who belonged to a group that made quilts for babies and children in local hospitals. Then my BF helped me with the bulk of my plastic bins of fabric, but I still had over 25 bins to move. I have since condensed those bins and reorganized them, but my goal now is to use it up. I made a family reunion quilt for the July 4th reunion and used only fabric sent to me and my stash for a king size quilt. I was very proud of myself. It was a hard thing to do, to purge, divide and conquer, but it was necessary. At least with stacked, clear bins, I pretty much know what I have and how to get it, even if it means moving a few bins. I still have a stash, but now it's not so overwhelming.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 AM

I am one who, like you, would buy because I liked the fabric. My stash became of storage problem plus, I never felt good about all the money spent on fabric that probably would never be used. I intend to buy only what I need for a the project I am currently working on. The stash gets big enough with out leftovers.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Debbie, I have been trying to follow your example and remove from my house whatever I know I won't ever use. I have sent lots of stuff off to people who have expressed interest, and it so far hasn't seemed to make a dent!! But I will keep working. I have discovered some wonderful fabric I forgot about while digging through the stacks :D
I find this same thing-finding something that I could have used and then bought because I didn't remember I had it!
yes, I, too am downsizing and donating and giving. because unless my life expectancy is about 225 years I will never use all that I have gathered :-D
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 AM

someone once said that she who dies with the most fabric was not sewing fast enough......so i have more sewing time on the calendar and i have not been buying except for one piece for binding a 1930's quilt (i do not have any 30's except for the pieced, appliqued, embroidered top my grandmother left me.binding is to complete it.) this is the year for finishing all works in progress. on new years eve i plan to sort all remaining fabric.