Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you mark your quilts? >

How do you mark your quilts?

How do you mark your quilts?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 AM

One great thing about the frixon pens is they iron out, but if you accidently iron it out and would like it back, just put your fabric in the freezer and the mark re-appears like majic!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM

beware of frixion pens. They iron out but reappear when the quilt is washed or when exposed to cold. I would do several tests before marking a quilt with them. If it's a small wall hanging that you will wash and iron they would be fine, but if it's a quilt that will go out of your possession and the person washes it, the lines will reappear and look terrible. That person would not know they have to iron out the marks. Test, test, test.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM

I use a longarm and seldom mark detail on my quilts but I do mark broad guidelines to be sure the spacing comes out right. For that I use the cheapest chalk money can buy. It brushes off with very little effort. Better chalks often contain paraffin or waxes that cause it to cling. This won't work for detail but it works very nicely for setting design spacing.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM

I use Crayola, fine line, washable markers and haven't had any problems with them. Make sure to follow directions for washing out the marks.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by sylvia storey
beware of frixion pens. They iron out but reappear when the quilt is washed or when exposed to cold. I would do several tests before marking a quilt with them. If it's a small wall hanging that you will wash and iron they would be fine, but if it's a quilt that will go out of your possession and the person washes it, the lines will reappear and look terrible. That person would not know they have to iron out the marks. Test, test, test.

I have a frixion pen and wondered if it would reappear somewhere down the road. Thanks for the information.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Frixion pens are available online at Amazon.com , Staples.com also enter Pilot Frixion Gel pens on google and it will give you locations. I found one location that had a 12 pack of colors. I got mine from Staples and had them the next day by UPS. Staples may have a coupon for 2.00 off that they will apply too.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM

I bought some too, but haven't played with them on fabric yet. Not to worried about any marks showing up in cold weather, as it would disappear with a hot iron. They do sound neat though!
I found a marking pencil kit by Singer today. Has anyone used this brand of pencils. No instructions with them, so am curious? Will test them on some scraps first, to see... Not sure how to remove the marks, any info would be appreciated!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM

I haven't tried this method, but it sounds interesting:

Put Glad Press'n Seal on top of a design. Trace the pattern with a permanent marker. Take the marked plastic wrap and press it onto your sandwiched quilt top. Quilt through the plastic wrap. Remove the plastic when finished quilting.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
I haven't tried this method, but it sounds interesting:

Put Glad Press'n Seal on top of a design. Trace the pattern with a permanent marker. Take the marked plastic wrap and press it onto your sandwiched quilt top. Quilt through the plastic wrap. Remove the plastic when finished quilting.
I have used this method several times & love it! It's only a problem if your quilting design lines get close together, or cross alot. The little tiny sections make it harder to get the PressN'Seal off, so I watch that, but love it otherwise! Another good technique!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM

Hi all!
Just read and only say something about the Pilot Frixion: some cloth brands NOT go with the iron!
I accompany a piece of a photo where you see that I could not follow the line stroke cushion (embroidery actually) and the iron line was not. You see the embroidery and brand line.
That happened to me several fabrics of different colors, both clear and dark.
I advise you to try a piece of each fabric to use, before dialing the Pilot, because again, some will not be the brand.
I'm using Multi-Function Sewline Trio Fabric Pencil, because I find it very useful.
A hug!

Pilot Frixion not go
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235191[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-235185.jpe
Views:	35
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	235191