Is my husband a keeper?

Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
IMHO, you might check out a vintage machine. they do a wonderful job on many of the processes needed for quilting, and won't (generally) cost an arm and a leg. There is info here on the board on upkeep.
The vintage machines are great for piece work. There should be some fine machines in your area, and could be re motored when you return states side, for far less than the cost of an elaborate machine, which has a short life. For quilting, the number of stitches is not important. Only being able to regulate their length. The vintage ladies are heavy. Not in your favor for your weight allowance, but a plus when sewing, as they don't tend to "walk" or vibrate away while in use. Check the streets on gross muleheimer tag. You can probably get one for free.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

All great suggestions. Here's another one - www.patternreview.com and see the sewing machine reviews. The people there usually put in their "pros" and "cons". Some people's "pros" are another person's "con", so it is good to see what people like and dislike so that when you actually try a machine you can see what they are talking about and if it matters or something else does to you. Have fun with your search!!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
All great suggestions. Here's another one - www.patternreview.com and see the sewing machine reviews. The people there usually put in their "pros" and "cons". Some people's "pros" are another person's "con", so it is good to see what people like and dislike so that when you actually try a machine you can see what they are talking about and if it matters or something else does to you. Have fun with your search!!!!!
Thank you! I am going there now.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 AM

He's a keeper all right!!! I have a Quilter's Edition Janome and just love it. It does everything I need it to do...especially allowing me to control the speed of my quilting with something other than my lead foot!!! Do try as many as you can before making your choice...of course, I didn't do that but ended up with a perfect match for me!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 AM

When wanting to purchase or upgrade quilting stuff, I tell my husband how I need something. His reply- well if you need it get it. He is a keeper too.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by debby wicke
When wanting to purchase or upgrade quilting stuff, I tell my husband how I need something. His reply- well if you need it get it. He is a keeper too.
We married brothers.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Yes he's definitely a keeper. I love my Pfaff, serves me well in all that I ask of it.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 AM

I have a Janome and two Brothers. I like my Brothers more. they are easier to operate.

And your hubby is a keeper for sure!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 AM

Support and understanding by our loved ones regarding our quilting is a special treat. Congrats on the "keeper". I too have a keeper who supports and lets me do my thing.

I have a Bernina 440QE it has just enough bells and whistles. I love the machine.

Don't be in a hurry. Make a list of items you want in a machine and go test drive different makes and models. Enjoy the process. Don't be "sold" you get what you want and need.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 AM

You have to be comfortable with whatever you decide, so I'd try out every make and model possible. I love both my Janome and Husqvarna, have a friend who swears by her Juki, and another that won't use anything but a Bernina. My sister has a Brother, and another quilter I know prefers her Elna over any other machine. It's personal preference and what your particular needs are, i.e. large harp space, a freearm, embroidery, etc. Good luck in your search, and yes, your husband is a keeper for sure!