Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for LA quilters and their customers >

question for LA quilters and their customers

question for LA quilters and their customers

Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 AM

let me ask this here: LAQ, if I make a top (Im finally getting my sewing room done!) and need to have it quilted (this is the part I dont like to do - lol) do I put the batt in and the backing and baste it together before I send it to be quilted?? I never had one quilted by anyone else before and am thinking I should start to do this if I want anything finished before I die sharet
Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 AM

Interesting Topic, I've wondered about taking quilts to a LA to learn, and do myself. Don't know what a "fair" price for that type of service would be.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:14 AM

I do not do LAQ, so I send all of my quilts out. My favorite quilter charges by the square inch, fee is greater if I want custom work. He adds a fee for thread color changes. All of his work is free motion - no pantographs or digital designs. He give me a quote before he starts the work. I have come to appreciate his skill and artistry, and would trust him doing any of my tops. I don't look for cheap. After spending my time piecing a top, I will pay for quality quilting.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 AM

We have both "per inch" and "per hour" available in our area. The "per inch" does all the work for you and delivers a finished product. The other involves you renting a either a manual or a computerized machine. You sew on the zipper yourself for both. For the manual, you can use either a pantograph or free motion. For the computerized, you choose the pattern. The employee is there to help as needed. There is also a flat rate thread charge, depending on whether the pattern is considered light/medium/heavy. Average charge for a lap sized quilt is about $50. The computerized machine is booked solid Jun-Jan. Don't think the manual one is booked as much. Guess the difference is whether your quilt is a show piece or not.
Personally, I like the feeling of completing an entire quilt myself and the rent option fills that need for me. I don't however like paying a flat rate thread charge. The charge for one quilt pays for the entire large cone of thread.
Will follow this thread closely as I have also wondered about the profitability of buying a LA.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by arimuse
let me ask this here: LAQ, if I make a top (Im finally getting my sewing room done!) and need to have it quilted (this is the part I dont like to do - lol) do I put the batt in and the backing and baste it together before I send it to be quilted?? I never had one quilted by anyone else before and am thinking I should start to do this if I want anything finished before I die sharet
You do not do any of the sandwiching if you are sending to a LA quilter. Just send top , backing and batting seperate. Some LA quilters have battings ( additional charge).
Once I discovered LA quilters .... it was truley life changing. I really really do not like the quilting part on a big quilt.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 AM

I used to go to my LQS and rent time on their non-SR machine. I paid by the hour, no minimum time, but had to make an appointment. That was after taking their 5 hour class to learn their machine (Nolting, now Gammill).

They also have a fully tricked out Gammill with Statler Stitcher that they use for custom quilting. They charge by size and work on that one, plus if someone wants a pattern they don't have, they share the cost with the client for the new (to the store) pattern for the Statler. They have a book with patterns that the store already has for the Statler as well as ones that can be ordered.

The LQS near where I live now also does the same, but charges twice what I paid for rental with a 2 hour minimum.

I am also one who likes to do the whole quilt from beginning to finished. Therefore, I am finally getting my own LA in about a week (Innova 26" w/ lightening stitch) and can't wait. We now have room for me to have a LA. I don't know if I will do a business, but will probably do a lot of charity work besides my own projects.

Good luck with your plans.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 AM

i want to know if there is an airport close to the lady in washington state....have taken lessons on a mid arm and loved it....absolutly loved it, it was like dancing....but the instructor passed away and the shop is being sold and it was a 2 hour each way drive.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm
I used to go to my LQS and rent time on their non-SR machine. I paid by the hour, no minimum time, but had to make an appointment. That was after taking their 5 hour class to learn their machine (Nolting, now Gammill).

They also have a fully tricked out Gammill with Statler Stitcher that they use for custom quilting. They charge by size and work on that one, plus if someone wants a pattern they don't have, they share the cost with the client for the new (to the store) pattern for the Statler. They have a book with patterns that the store already has for the Statler as well as ones that can be ordered.

The LQS near where I live now also does the same, but charges twice what I paid for rental with a 2 hour minimum.

I am also one who likes to do the whole quilt from beginning to finished. Therefore, I am finally getting my own LA in about a week (Innova 26" w/ lightening stitch) and can't wait. We now have room for me to have a LA. I don't know if I will do a business, but will probably do a lot of charity work besides my own projects.

is that at Nancy's.....i know the way there from the airport
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM

No, it's Always Quilting in San Mateo for my old shop. Good people.

The other is Quiltique in Henderson, NV. Also good people.

I'm getting my LA from Teryl Loy in St George.

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
Originally Posted by caspharm

is that at Nancy's.....i know the way there from the airport
Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 AM

Just to add my two cents as a LA quilter. Flat fee verses square inch fee- Not all quilts are created equal. I have quilted some quilts that the customer has called a double and it measured more in the king category. So if I charged according to "a double", I would lose money and time spent on the quilt. The square inch method of charging seems fairer to me cause no matter what size the customer thinks it is, I have a reasonable return for my labor and time. Like someone else said, I don't nickel and dime my customers to death. The end cost may reflect a small increase to the square inch figure for seaming backs and etc. My prices start at .0125 per inch for meandering and upward from there depending what the customer wants. Does this help?