Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guild Question #2 >

Quilt Guild Question #2

Quilt Guild Question #2

Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 AM

Take classes at your local quilt shop.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 AM

When you got to the guild, pick out a nice quilter and befriend her!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 AM

Our local LQS has a sit and sew once a week. You could inquire or post a notice at one near you. Also if you attend a church inquire from members or your pastor (the pastor usually knows everything about what is going on). I wouldn't be past putting an inquiry on Craigslist in the crafting section. Get the names of the people who have entered quilts in your local fair or quilt show, look them up in the phone book, and give them a call. I had been wanting to attend a quilt show in a community close to here but didn't want to go alone. There is a woman who does LAQ about a mile up the road that had a sign in her front yard with her number on it. I gave her a call and asked her if she was attending or would like to and we went together. Who knows, maybe the start of a new life long friendship! Ann in TN
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50

I do not want something with cliques, that is political, etc. I guess I just want a quilting friend.
don't we all!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 AM

I talk quilts. When I meet a new person, a colleague from another part of my working world or someone at a social gathering, I always include quilting in the conversation.

"Hi, nice to see you again. What's been happening in your life since last May when I saw you last?" I respond with a quilt story. It is amazing how many people respond with I didn't know you quilted, me too or I would love to learn how to quilt but I ....... I guess it is called networking. Pass the word that you quilt and others will find you. Carry that new bag you made, talk to folks shopping in the fabric shop you frequent.

I go to a "craft night" at church and bring my machine, tools and what ever I am working on. I see the interest growing particularly in the younger women, teens and college student aged. No converts yet to quilting but they ask questions about the patterns, the tools and the process. I can easily see in a few months or years them asking for help to get started on a quilt or for help to get their first quilt finished. We may end up with our own little group, casual but helpful. Older women teaching the younger and younger teaching the older. Taking pleasure in one each others company.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 AM

My employee became hooked by watching all the packages of material come to the office and people bringing in their quilts for me to quilt. Some days it's really hard to get any accounting work done! We have been known to have been seen sewing or cutting at our desk.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 AM

I have been a member of at least 5 different guilds. Always active on the board, but the first 2 years I just try to get to meet different quilters. I have found that there is always one in every guild that are rude but when you realize that one out of 100 or more you learn to ignore that one and enjoy the rest. Also, when you share your knowledge of quilting and accept beginners as well as experts without making anyone feel inferrior you will learn so much more and really enjoy life.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 AM

Create flyers and put them out in local grocery stores, fabric stores, etc. Make small talk while in line in stores with the person behind of in front of you and hand them a card with your info on it if you find they are into it. Contact local churches and ask if they have sew groups in there church. Pass flyers in your own neighborhood asking if anyone sews/quilts and that you are looking for a quilting buddy. Talk to folks you already know and ask them if they know anyone that sews and/or quilts and if they do ask for there contact info or hand them a card and ask if they would mind making contact with that person to introduce you to them.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline ritze
I have found that there is always one in every guild that are rude but when you realize that one out of 100 or more you learn to ignore that one and enjoy the rest. Also, when you share your knowledge of quilting and accept beginners as well as experts without making anyone feel inferrior you will learn so much more and really enjoy life.
Amen! Totally agree with this.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:51 AM

Peckish wrote:
My group meets once a month, and we rotate hostessing duties at our homes. Three years ago, I contacted a vendor because I was interested in purchasing a quilting frame, and she invited me into this group so I could see various machines and frames in action. Since then, I've become friends with all of them and we have a blast! EVERYTHING is voluntary - nobody keeps track of who hosted the last meeting or how many charity quilts you've made. We invite whomever we want and there are no "presidents" or "treasurers". We go to quilt shows together and have a retreat once a year. It is a HOOT.

Sounds like a great group of like minded quilters. Lucky you!