Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Neckcoolers >

Neckcoolers

Neckcoolers

Old 08-03-2011, 04:06 AM

Rice will not stay cold. The scarves are soaked in water and then put in the freezer to freeze. There is no drippy mess with these scarves. I wrap mine around a cool whip container to freeze. It conforms better to my neck. I love them and they do keep me cool.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 AM

I don't remember what they are called but I have some left from a couple of years ago. If you are interested let me know.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by willquilt81
it's called "soil release"...you can find it in the garden stores...it is mixed with soil to hold water during dry seasons. Why not try rice??? It gets cold in the freezer and is just as refreshing...no wet hanging around your neck!
I make mine for soldiers and they don't have access to freezers in Afghanistan!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 AM

It is called Watersorb. You can goggle and find a site to
order it on line. A 4 lb pkg is about $34 with free shipping.
You only use 1 1/2 teaspoons per neck cooler so goes a long ways. After using let it dry thoroughly and the
crystals dry down to nothing again and you can use it next
season. These are great for anyone working outside in this
heat. I buy the big bag and share it with friends.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM

I used to have a hard time finding them but noticed that Lowe's was carrying them this year. Be sure you get the container that is just pure pellets because they do come packaged with something else mixed in - don't recall if its a filler, fertilizer pellets or what now. Will get back later with the name if no one else has come up with it. Incidentally, there is a group that collects these to send to servicemen and women overseas. I spoke with the person a couple of months ago and they are always looking for them.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 AM

Just made over 100 neck coolers for our youth to go on a pioneer trek. The product is called polymer. Here are some sites:
http://www.watersorb.com/mainstore.html
http://www.ifleemarket.com/index.php...t_detail&p=138

It is best to let them hydrate overnight.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM

These are an easy project. There are different sizes of the beads which absorb more or less water. Watch prices - I found smaller ones with fewer beads in the pack for double the price at WalMart!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
A couple of weekends ago a friend of mine and I made 60 helmet coolers and 32 cooling scarves like these and sent them to troops in Afghanistan. We have a Soldiers Angels group at our church, and we do stuff like this all the time. It's really a neat thing...you can use cut up sheets to make them, just dye them dark beige or khaki green.
What kind of pattern do you use for the helmet coolers, I make the ties but don't have a pattern for the helmets,will you share.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM

I sure wished I had them for this past weekend. My daughter walked in the 3-day Susan Komen Breast Cancer walk. We went up Saturday to cheer her on. So many walkers passed us sweating like mad. I was afraid for them. I will try to make these for next year. The only thing is they can't carry a cooler or anything to keep a replacement cool. We'll have to work on that.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shirley Oswalt
Does anyone know what neck coolers are filled with,they are about 36' long,made like a tube to fill. You can run cold water over and they enlarge. Put around neck to cool in the heat.
http://soldiersangels.org/uploads/CoolScarvesHowTo.pdf

This has several resources.