Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guild Question #2 >

Quilt Guild Question #2

Quilt Guild Question #2

Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 AM

Go to the user list at the top and search by location. Find some lovely people on this board that live near you that would like to start a quilting group. That is how some ladies here in Central Oregon started a group.

Take a quilting class at your LQS. There you will meet ladies who have your same interests.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 AM

Yes I would like an answer to this question also. I am a beginner quilter and would like to meet with a quilting group during the day. I am in the Champions Area on 1960 in Houston/Tomball area. Please reply
Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 AM

I was looking for a specific quilt fabric pattern and calling all the local shops i could find and one was a informal shop run out of a home and she told me about this quilt group that gets together 1 day a week just for quilting ideas and doing you own work and haveing lots of fun chatting having snacks bring your own lunch and once a month a potluck day so i went and found my nich so to speak :) btw she also had the fabric i was looking for...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the local quilt shop is a great place to meet fellow quilters- if you could sign up for a class or two at the lqs you will be able to start connecting- there may be a local sewing/quilting group you could meet with regularly-
not everyone is able to join guilds...but little sewing groups are all around
This is an excellent way to meet other quilters. You might also check into quilting retreats in your area. Often a group may schedule a retreat but doesn't have enough people to completely fill the quota, so the retreat may offer space to individuals. I've made some lasting friendships this way with quilters who are not members of my guild.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM

I'm sorry some quilters have had bad luck with guilds, but I've been in mine a long time and have found if you participate in their various programs you will meet a lot of new people. That's how I got into my small weekly quilting group where we enjoy stitching, chatting and laughing. Unfortunately, there are some "quilt police" in every guild, but just ignore them and seek out friendly people.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 AM

sew for sewing bees that meet in person or online.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 AM

I guess you need to move to Kentucky. We are always going to different shops, taking classes that are fairly close. This past weekend we were in Jonesbourgh, TN - classes schedules by Tennessee Quilt Shop. We took classes under Pat Sloan and Penny Haren. Of course they had a lot of other wonderful Teachers there, but hopefully we can get them next time.

We have a wonderful time and are always planning our next trip. Of course each shop we visit loves to see us come - we always find those things we can't do without. More collectibles.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 AM
elm

Does your local library or quilt shop have a message board you could post on?

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50
So, my first questions generated lots of conversation - and many did not have great experiences.

My question #2 is this: If a quilt guild is not for you/me where do you meet quilting friends?

I want to find someone who is totally crazy about quilting and fabric like I am. I love the people on this board, but I want someone to talk to and shop with, etc.

I do not want something with cliques, that is political, etc. I guess I just want a quilting friend.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 AM

I wished you lived closer to me, you would love our guild.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 AM

I have met a lot of quilters thru various online quilting groups and made many friends all over the world. Have even met many of them at quilt shows, or by making arrangements to meet in a local quilt shop