Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's Behind Your Quilting Board ID? >

What's Behind Your Quilting Board ID?

What's Behind Your Quilting Board ID?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 AM

My son has been playing hockey since he was 5(he is now 20) hence hockeymom
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM

this is fun and great to here you story, happy memories. My grandchildren call me Nunny, short version of Italian Nonna and Jo is short for Joanna. So there you have it my quilting friends.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM

Before the accident, I bed, lived with and showed Basenjis using the kennel name 'Rugosa'
Tat name was chosent years ago because I love gardening, and Rugose is the latin botannical name for wrinkled leaves on the Rugosa Rose, and since basenis have 'wrinkles on their forehead' the 2 just went together. The Rugosa Rose is also more of a natural, somewhat ntamed rose, a perfect name for a basenji. n fact my firwst show dog, and start of my breeding line, was named Rugosa Rose
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM

When my husband and I retired and moved to the northern sierras, our property has lots of deer roaming on it, so the name deerhaven. The number 3, is because someone else had the ID deerhaven already.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
As a caver, I go slithering through the underground, and visit bats in their natural habitats. I developed a sincere interest in the critters, and became an amateur bat ecologist. They are fascinating and play an important role in our ecological balance. When time came to get a CB handle, I selected olebat, which has become a screen name anytime a screen name or email is needed. My kids (several thousand 4-H’ers a year) really get a kick out of being able to call their advisor olebat. As an employee of the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service, I make house calls and answer bat related phone calls. One of the many pleasures I have is making presentations to garden clubs, day camps, library talks, schools, etc., educating the public about our poorly understood flying mammals. The timid call me bat lady. I often remind folks that the name is ole, not old bat. There is an oldbat in our National Speleological Society. Great woman, and much younger than I. (Also a quilter BTW.)
Thank you for you dedication to an often misunderstood creature!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Mine's boring too. Just my first initial for Kaye, and my last name -- Kaye Allen. But I liked the way Kallen sounded. This is a fun post to read.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Quilter54
You must have had a very patient (sp) mother. Had I done these things I wouldn't be around today to need an ID.
I suppose I did have a patient mother. She had a very hard life. I won't go into details here, but it began with enduring a military occupation in Europe, having the family farm conscripted and my grandmother forced to serve as a cook for the officers while my mother, suffering from scarlet fever, had to sleep in a trunk in the kitchen. Grandfather was here in the US, but didn't send for them for 18 long years. Life in the US was better, but not all roses. I was a menopause surprise and my poor mother probably thought she was done with at least part of her toils.

I truly believe that having a daughter who was such a free spirit gave her the permission to step out of the drudgery and explore her own creative side. Or maybe she was just too tired to get upset at that point in time. Late in her life she became an accomplished artist and musician - frivolities that life did not permit her to experience.

Yes, she let a lot slide, but her eyes opened to another side of life. Years later a childhood friend told me how envious she was of our family because we left the dishes to dry in the dish rack after supper rather than dry them and put them away immediately -- so we'd have time to go outside and watch the sun set or listen to a mocking bird's song.

So, perhaps you wouldn't have been around, but here I am - living the legacy of a mother who came to see life a little differently so late in life.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Some of you use your normal names, but I'm wondering if there is a story behind your ID?

My real name is Christine, but my mother often used the European version ... as in ...

Mom walks into living room and notices a huge splotch of orange paint all over the new blue floral sofa slipcovers she just made.
"Krystyna, Krystyna. What is this? Well, that IS a lovely painting of a pumpkin you've made."

Mom walks into my bedroom and sees me hard at work on one of her old skirts, snipping away with scissors in hand.
"Krystyna, Krystyna! My goodness! Isn't that a fancy hula skirt you've made."

Mom passes by the hall closet and notices a sign I enthusiastically made to remind me of the schedule for my soon-to-start violin lessons. It is affixed with to the lovely oak door with glue meant to repair shoes and has a fancy leather frame made from my father's old belts.
"Krystyna, Krystyna! Oh! Oh ... Well, now no one will forget your lessons for a long time. Oh. Oh, my."

So, in keeping with my quilting qualities ... I decided to use the ID Krystyna. Mom passed away many years ago, but with each quilt I finish, I can hear her say ...

"Krystyna, Krystyna. Oh my. What have you made here ..."
Oh such sweet memories! My name is Barbara but my sister could not pronounce that so it changed to a nickname...hence Bobbie. Bobbie1 result of someone else using Bobbie on the board.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaineGirl76
Mine is easy, I live in Maine, I'm a girl and my year of birth is 76..LOL
Love your name. but now I can tell you I am older than that. Keep quilting. Good name.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Love all the stories and explainations.
Guess I better explain mine and can only regret that I didn't some up with a "lint" roller before someone else did.
As we all know when you come out of a sewing session (short or long), you can and/or will be "Covered in Threads". My DH swears that lose threads follow me everywhere - I've come out of grocery stores and pharmacies to find him picking off loose threads - gees! So when I started writing articles for our local quilt some 5 years ago on events, travels and creations I knew I needed something special to close with hence the use of "Covered in Threads". I feel it does the job nicely in closing out articles I write and in describing my happiness when I'm in my sewing room.