Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guild Question #2 >

Quilt Guild Question #2

Quilt Guild Question #2

Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM

I'm going to check out our local guild, but another good place is to take some classes at you LQS.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Where in Central Illinois do you live? I'm from Clinton, Illinois but move to Michigan 54 years ago. Sorry I'm not closer to you too.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 PM

I would go to your favorite quilt store and hang around and talk with the employees, they may know someone like you and be able to get you together.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:37 PM

One day I was in a local quilt store and the gal working the counter asked "How much would you like me to cut?" And I asked her what part of Massachusetts she was from.....we both laughed. Turns out she lives 2 streets away. That was 5 years ago and every week we get together..sometimes her house, sometimes mine...and sew. We've done a couple quilt classes together and found out we lived about 4 towns away from each other up north. the world keeps getting smaller. We have so much in common that conversations go on as if we grew up together. So visit your local shop....meet ladies there.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole
I take classes periodically to meet new people.

Don't rule out the guild option just because of the horror stories.

You could also start a quilting bee of your own once you find people who share your interests.

Cheers, K
I agree with K!
I've belonged to our local guild for maybe 3 years, and still feel like a newcomer when I walk in the door to the meetings. These women have sewing circles that meet outside of the regular guild meetings, so they tend to gravitate to those same little groups at the guild meetings. Sure, they'd say "hi" to me, but I've felt like an outsider. But, I was at our LQS recently and one of those sewing circles was meeting in the back room. I did know a number of the ladies in the group, and now they've invited me to join the group.

But, I always try to be on the lookout for new people at the guild meetings and try to make them feel welcome by sitting with them, answering questions etc.

There are days when I think just staying home and quilting is a better use of my time instead of going to the meetings (I work fulltime, so each spare hour is precious), but there is so much I enjoy about the guild: show and tell, guest speakers, featured quilters, making charity quilts together....and new friendships!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM

I agree with you on possibly not joining a guild.. as I don't have much time during the week.. and would also like to hang with a buddy to sew, and shop.. Actually, don't need to shop.. more to hang out with, and laugh at our mistakes.. I've hinted to a bunch of friends, and coworkers that I would love to teach them, and even set them up with things to do it.. I have extra good quality older machines from thrift stores, and just picked up in my wandering.. I was thinking about convincing my niece (16) to let me teach her, and her friends to quilt.. I think I they might go for it, except they are brains, and study.. Ughh.
Barri
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
elm

What part of Boston were you from? I grew up in both Dorchester and near Ashmont Station. Lived on the North Shore as an adult.

Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
One day I was in a local quilt store and the gal working the counter asked "How much would you like me to cut?" And I asked her what part of Massachusetts she was from.....we both laughed. Turns out she lives 2 streets away. That was 5 years ago and every week we get together..sometimes her house, sometimes mine...and sew. We've done a couple quilt classes together and found out we lived about 4 towns away from each other up north. the world keeps getting smaller. We have so much in common that conversations go on as if we grew up together. So visit your local shop....meet ladies there.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
elm

What part of Boston were you from? I grew up in both Dorchester and near Ashmont Station. Lived on the North Shore as an adult.

Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Some local ladies started a guild that is organized as low key. We meet twice a month, one time is guild meeting, one is sewing bee. Our dues are 50 cents per year and we contribute a dollar to each meeting we attend to cover the cost of the church building use where we meet. Sometimes we will do a quilt together and we make one per year to raffle off. We have people of ALL skill levels and those who know, show those who are learning. This year we each took a month ( with some doubles) to teach something ( make a bag, pillowcases, landscape design etc. ) we also do a BOM. Each person takes a turn bringing a block with directions. We don't have elections, we don't have officers except for the convener and the secretary. No pressure to show up, if you can great, if not are you ok ? see you next month. It has been tons of fun. Frankly, a regular traditional guild was scary after some of the stories i have heard. yikes! Let's have fun for pete's sake, life is TOO short to bicker over something we love. off my soap box now. !
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50
So, my first questions generated lots of conversation - and many did not have great experiences.

My question #2 is this: If a quilt guild is not for you/me where do you meet quilting friends?

I want to find someone who is totally crazy about quilting and fabric like I am. I love the people on this board, but I want someone to talk to and shop with, etc.

I do not want something with cliques, that is political, etc. I guess I just want a quilting friend.
I notice that you live in Central IL. Not sure what you consider central but Jackman's Fabric in Fairview Heights has lots of free groups and classes and they are very friendly or I wouldn't go. I live in the Edwardsville/Collinsville area and there are a few others that I know are friendly.