Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hiding Fabric Purchases >

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-04-2011, 07:58 AM

My DH hasn't said anything but he still doesn't know all the fabric I have. ;)
Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Oh, June. You have described me to a T. I always feel like a kid that has been trying to find the Christmas packages hidden by my Mom. When the FedEx or UPS truck pulls up I'm the first one to the door, well after my puppywog that is.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 AM

I only buy online (live in another country where there are no quilt shops) but could not hide anything ... because I use an extension of your credit card!
Hahahaha!
But now I just limit Customs international purchases, that you should see it in local stores ... and I feel almost like you!
A big hug!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Here`s where always being a tight wad comes in handy, I bring in my purchases, set them down and say, how is your day going? And on one ever remembers I was shopping.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM

When my hubby was alive, I had to sneak fabric in.I would wait till he took his afternoon nap.Now, I walk straight to my sewing room with my finds.My son knows better than to open his mouth,lol.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM

I just don't understand the "your money" vs "his money" thing. Are we grown ups or what? Every dime either of us brought in went into the same account. It all paid "our" bills & fed us "our" food.
It sounds like a power problem. Just enjoy your fabrics.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Just curious on how many of you hide your fabric purchases from your DH's?

We are retired & I really don't like going out myself, so I usually go with someone - mainly DH - who can for some reason -spend hours in any golf store - but not very good when he goes to a fabric store.

I find that purchasing fabric online is easier for me & great fun. However, I just started to organize a sewing room. I can't believe how much fabric I have found & refell in love with since taking it out of the plastic totes, refolding it and putting it on shelves - in my closet

However, that doesn't mean I have stop buying fabric. My challenge now is to beat my DH to the door when the mailman drops off the mail & hide my precious packages (to be opened at a later time) Sometimes, I feel like I am 13 again & trying to hide something I did wrong from my parents.

But there is nothing like the fabric high I get when I open a package that has been delivered from an online fabric store.

LOVE IT!!!!!!
I don't hide my fabric.He don't care what i buy as long as i don't over do it.Connie in CO
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM

In my first marriage I had a husband who would check the grocery store receipt to make sure I hadn't "snuck" anything. I was young and had a lot of childhood baggage that made me feel worthless, so I acted like I was of little worth.

After about 10 years, I had grown enough to realize that I was of GREAT worth and deserved better than a life of coerced servitude and being constantly made to feel inferior. So I divorced him....and, surprise, I didn't crash and burn like he always told me I would if I left him...in fact I raised my three kids on my own by starting my own business cleaning houses while I went to college.

Eventually met and married the man of my dreams (though I had told myself there wasn't a man out there worth giving up my freedom for!)who is the love of my life.

I never have to hide anything from him and he encourages every one of my hearts desires. If I have an interest he pushes me to pursue it.

I still struggle with feeling unworthy (but it definitely does not come from him.....it's those old tapes in my head)when I buy something that is all for me.

I am so grateful to married to my husband....it is like my life did not truly begin until I met him, he is my best friend.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

This is a funny thread...

We recently took a trip to Virginia Beach VA to visit hubby's friends.. While having breakfast out the friend's wife asked if I wanted to go to local fabric shops-knowing I love to quilt.. I simply stated I didn't bring my purse but appreciated the offer.. My hubby handed me all the cash he had in his pocket and said "Have fun, see ya when you get back.. We got to the quilt shop I looked at the money, I had over $250 in cash.... It was funny, i had used the spare suitcase to bring it all home.. and no, I didn't use it all- maybe half- but I put the rest away for rainy day..
Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Don't hide. Never have. He says if that is what makes you happy, go for it. He has his hobbies too.