Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting? >

Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM

My DH is an artist and he can't understand why i will follow a pattern, he thinks I should do my own thing. I think I do, with color choices and my own little spin on it. He's never sewn a stitch and doesn't understand this being a different kind of art for me. He isn't critical and he does encourage me so I can't complain.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by annieb
My DH is an artist and he can't understand why i will follow a pattern, he thinks I should do my own thing. I think I do, with color choices and my own little spin on it. He's never sewn a stitch and doesn't understand this being a different kind of art for me. He isn't critical and he does encourage me so I can't complain.
We have a common remark in the paint group, why paint something you already have a picture of?

I guess I meant to say, have the picture, but I can paint it in a way that might stay. (oops got all poetic)
Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Yes too much imput can and does stiffle. It's hard to tune out but you have to. If your husband is anything like mine he thinks I don't listen to his imput but even after all these years he can't see I have to do things in ways that work for me and his ideas are his. If he wishes to implement them then have at it.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:41 PM

IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:09 PM

My daughter tells me I should sell things. I haven't got the confidence though and I wouldn't know where to do it. Certainly not e bay. I've seen beautiful tapestries there and they sell for less than the framing would cost.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:10 PM

For the most part I don't mind, but, I have a wonderful friened that thinks her color choices are best, and I find myself arguing with her over what to put in MY quilt. I know I should just tell her I like it my way, but I wouldn't hurt her for the world
Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewgarden
My daughter tells me I should sell things. I haven't got the confidence though and I wouldn't know where to do it. Certainly not e bay. I've seen beautiful tapestries there and they sell for less than the framing would cost.
Years ago I began sewing for other people. Alterations repairs designs. It took the joy out of it. Mothers calling Thursday wanting a custom wedding gown for their precious daughter by Saturday morning with no clue why I refused. Recently I shared with a neighbor who does alterations that I couldnt find a tactful way to tell women who insisted they lost weight that they had gained weight and there was no way to alter the clothes. My neighbor is a savy woman- She said- tell them, they may have lost weight but their drier shunk all their clothes so it was time to go shopping for new ones.- I love her response
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Do what YOU love and what YOU want to do.

Thank family and friends for positive comments, listen to any critiques for possible improvement but don't let it deprive you of your 'bliss'. If negative feedback bothers you, don't be shy letting friends and family know that you prefer positive feedback.

Some people like to throw water on a happy party.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Afton
Originally Posted by Glassquilt
With tongue in cheek, ask them to look into it for you. You would of course want to pay the household bills, eat and make a profit so you know you can't sell yourself short, etc., etc., etc. My guess would be that once they do they'll get the picture. Hand quilting is so time consuming it is not a moneymaker.
That is the part that aggravating as anything, my dad doesn't believe me that it wouldn't be profitable.

And I don't mean to complain... much. They are very encouraging. The part that's hard for me is that even if I don't ask for it I get comments..."Shouldn't that be more symmetrical?"... "You sit there all the day and do that?! I'd be bored..." Sheesh.

And last night I was laying out some 4patch posy squares and my sister came up and started re arranging them...
Your sister is lucky she has you for a sister...mine would have pulled back bloody stumps!! ;) :lol:
Same here. Nobody would dare touch my stuff, much less rearrange it!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Recently I decided to do quilting for others as a business. But this doesn't feel like work -- It's FUN! :thumbup:
I agree with you - LAing is so much fun, whether for me or a customer!!! I have done 2 quilts on commission for friends and I must say I was sick of them by the time I was done...don't think I'll do any more.

I think that when folks suggest you sell your quilts they are complementing your talent and skill. However, non-quilters are clueless as to the time and $$$ involved. If you kept track of the time (and $$) you put into a quilt, from picking the fabric and pattern all the way through the binding, AND paid yourself as an artisan at say $20/hour, they might have a heart attack at the final sum!!!

I agree with whoever said to acknowledge their suggestion then do what you want - sorry I don't remember who said it, but I did read all the posts!!!