Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
anyone ever done a hot air balloon ride? >

anyone ever done a hot air balloon ride?

anyone ever done a hot air balloon ride?

Old 08-05-2011, 05:30 AM

We took my 88 year old father on a balloon ride and all enjoyed it very much. Two comments though -- the burners can make the air around your head very hot, so don't do a ride in mid-summer; also our trip was over bush and suburbia so not a lot to see -- especially since I had always wanted to ride over the Serengetti (no majestic herds of wilderbeast near the Gold Coast in Australia!)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:09 AM

My cousin took her mom (my aunt) in one for her birthday. DA was 75, had dementia, but the smile on her face up there was priceless... it was the last item on her bucket list and bless my DC for making it happen. (DA's doc gave his blessings for this experience)
AND then there was the look on my dear cousin's face... I don't think she was enjoying near as much :shock: :D:D:D[/quote]

Beautiful story, thank you. Going up in a balloon was a dream of my mom's, too. Sadly we waited too long--she died before reaching that goal. Wish I could have made it happen for her. She also wanted to drive a race car on a track. Funny.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 AM

I did one over the Napa Valley in California about 10 years ago. It was the most peaceful thing I've ever done! It was very early in the morning just after sun up and the view was just incredible. It was one of the things on my "bucket list" and my husband gave it to me as a birthday gift. Go try it, I don't think you'll regret it. :-D :-D :lol:
Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 AM

Would love to but would probably hurl or faint.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Broomfield Days is coming soon here and i hope they have a hot air balloon again. i have yet to ride in one. it would be teathered though. safer to me!
i did ride in a helicopter one year and it went right down my street. i don't like heights, so this was a feat for me!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM

I have and it was wonderful. Boise has an annual River Festival in June that includes hot balloon races. I was able to go up early one morning when the skies were clear and the day had not yet warmed up. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM

I've been up several times in Northern California, and it was a blast. I too am afraid of heights, but this was not scarry once I quit ducking every time the fire up came to keep the balloon air hot. It was so soothing and relaxing, and the view went on forever. If you have a chance to crew for someone, after a couple times of chasing they will often give you a free ride, as thanks for chasing them all over the countryside.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

On my bucket list also....I am 73 so I better get at it!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM

No but it is on my list of things I really want to do!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM

we did and it was great. the ride just didn't last long enough. my husband's mother who is 86 did it and enjoyed it. we gave it to her for her birthday and for another woman to go and they had a great ride and it lasted a long time for them.