Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy??? >

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 AM

Go to a doctor; don't try all the Miracle Cures. Especially if you are headed to the beach and vacation.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 AM

You mnight try extra virgin coconut oil. It is very healing.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis
Ok - I have years of experience with this- found the best over the counter medicine that works for me - it is called Domboro - it is available at most drug stores - it is a powder that you add to water - then soak a washcloth in it - then you apply the washcloth to the affected area - it works very well - and do not exceed the time period on the box - otherwise it can make it too dry and itchy - usually clears up the site within 24-48hrs. Good luck..
Domboro is great. You may have to ask the pharmacist for it. Sometimes it's kept behind the counter. I also use Zanfel scrub...it's pricey but it really helps.

I've heard about a homeopathic cure using jewel weed. It grows under the same conditions as poison ivy. I've not tried it. You may want to read about it first.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by FERSID
NAPTHA GAS (it's also call white gas or camp stove gas)

Call me crazy but it worked for my Grandparents, my Dad and everyone else in our family and our friends who visited us at our cottage.

Many years ago when my Grandparents and my Dad were clearing the land (very dense bush and COVERED with Poison Ivy) even though they took precautions to cover their skin, they would still get exposed to the poison ivy oil.

My Grandfather discovered when he took a cloth soaked in Naptha Gas and gently rubbed it over the infected area, the gas would immediately remove the poison ivy oil and dry up the rash and any blisters which had started to form - the poison ivy rash went away immediately and did not itch. The Naptha Gas dries out the oil and removes what has gotten into your skin pores. He would wash the area with soap and water after about 10 minutes or so. There was never a side effect to this treatment and was the only thing that would work - especially since there was so much ivy around and next to impossible to avoid contact with.

My Dad & Mom carried on using this method on my sister and I whenever we came in contact with poison ivy and we never suffered from it.

I continued this method and tradition with my children and my children are continuing it with theirs.

;) ;)
My mom swore by Felsnaptha soap. I wonder if they have the same ingredient.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 AM

Go to the drugstore and buy some Zanfel. You can buy it over the counter. It is expensive, 30.00 plus dollars for a tube, but it works. Use it as directed. I am highly allergic to poison ivy and the shots and pills they give last about 24 hours for me and I am back to scratching like crazy. My granddaughter is a pharmacist to be and the drug store recommended it to her for her Dad and they told me about it. It is the best thing I have found. It won't go away over night, but it sure helps get rid of it and stop the itching when used as directed. It may take a couple of tubes if you have it really bad, but it does work. Good luck I certainly feel for you.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 AM

My husband gets it if the wind blows in his direction. He goes to the Dr. and he prescribes. Predisone.Clears up in a few days and stops the itching. Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM

I used to take the plant leaf of Plaintain (English plaintain is best - more juicy) and rub on all the sores. This is a weed that grows in most yards. It will leave you a little green but it will dry up the sore. I got into some seed-ticks when I lived in Tenn. and the stuff the doctor gave me didn't work. Rubbed this on me and the next day it was dried up. Didn't even itch. I now live in Wyoming and can't find the weed.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Get a shot from your doctor and take benadryl.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Never had problems with it till I moved south, rural area. If I even sit on a couch that has the oil on it I'm doomed. After suffering for years, I asked the pharmacist and he recommended Tecnu lotion soap. Follow the directions and the stuff will stop is and allow your skin to heal. I also take a benedryl cap at bedtime so it calms down.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Oops, forgot, you can find Tecnu at CVS or other drug store.