Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing squares for quilts >

Piecing squares for quilts

Piecing squares for quilts

Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 AM

I'm a pinner when it comes to getting seams to line up, no matter what the block/piece size. Would rather pin thn rip out. Even with pinning, it's notalways perfect every time :P
Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 AM

yup, I don't pin. the heads always seem to fall off for me so I just stick with good enough. most of my quilts go to non quilters, so they don't really notice
Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Sometimes I pin. If the seam is short I just butt the seams together.

I recently read somewhere about using a tiny dot or two of either basting glue or Elmer's Washable School glue in the seam allowances in problem areas. I would imagine that's not a good option for those who like to iron their seams open. Both of those products wash out, do not harm your fabric and do not attract bugs.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM

I just put a pin in the front seam line and then peek and stick ot the back seam line. It will usually be perfect.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:07 AM

When doing squares, I find that making sure the straight grains all run the same direction helps to keep the seams true. If they are slightly off on the crossgrain there's enough stretch to make them come out right.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I hardly pin. But then most of my pieces are blocks that "lock" together. Pins are for borders in my opinion (at least, that's when I use them) and for the very beginning of binding. But if you want nice seams, try a magnetic seam guide. I have one that I put right against my 1/4 inch foot and it works great. All my seams are the same and the blocks line up perfectly
Oh where oh where can I get a magnetic seam guide? I've never seen or heard of one! I too need all the help I can get... :)
Old 08-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by judi_lynne
Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I hardly pin. But then most of my pieces are blocks that "lock" together. Pins are for borders in my opinion (at least, that's when I use them) and for the very beginning of binding. But if you want nice seams, try a magnetic seam guide. I have one that I put right against my 1/4 inch foot and it works great. All my seams are the same and the blocks line up perfectly
Oh where oh where can I get a magnetic seam guide? I've never seen or heard of one! I too need all the help I can get... :)
I found one among my mom's quilting supplies but I saw them at Joann's Thursday by the sewing machine oil and all the other things they have for sewing machines. I just found one online that matches mine. It's made by Dritz and this one was at Hancocks
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Magnet...VVviewprod.htm
Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 PM

I'm loving all of this because I'm going to make a throw for my niece for her upcoming surgery. The pattern is a simple 4 patch, but the colors I chose make it really interesting (I think!). I haven't decided on a sashing color yet. I'm going to try chain stitching the patches and see how that works out.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM

I use a stitch guide or 1/4 inch piecing foot, and chain piece, I never pin just align the pieces carefully and slip under the edge of the presser footl. Pinning such a small piece leaves more room for error in my opnion. I don't pin trianges with bias edges either.:)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:29 PM

Just a note-the magnetic guide is not suggested for use with computerized machines. :(