Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advise/Opinions on Long Arming >

Advise/Opinions on Long Arming

Advise/Opinions on Long Arming

Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i knew i wanted a longarm within the first couple of months of quilting.

i hated quilting by moving the quilt and was never going to let someone else quilt my quilts for me.

i like to have total control over the project instead of allowing someone else to put their artistic voice on my work.

it took me about 12 months or so to find a used setup that i wanted.

i was a beginner when i got it since it was my first time ever using a longarm.

at this point i would consider myself advanced or professional since i make my living thru quilting.
I agree that I also realized after a few months that I love quilting and disliked shoving a large quilt through a small machine (especially when I started making queen and larger quilts). I also like total control from beginning to end, even though there are some excellent LA'ers out there.

I learned to use a LA at my LQS, where they taught a 4 hour class for a fee and then rented out the machine by the hour. They started with a basic older Nolting and then upgraded to a Gammill (neither had a stitch regulator), so I had experience with both those brands. I then tried a HandiQuilter and a Tin Lizzie.

On the recommendation of my new guild president (we moved), I went and tried an Innova and loved it. Mine is coming today and I can't wait. For now, I will only be quilting my own projects and maybe offer to quilt donation quilts for my guild. Not really thinking of going pro, at least not for a while.

Machine choice is definitely a personal one. You can buy a LA, or a machine that can do both, such as a Bernina 830, which costs about as much as a LA, but definitely go out and try different ones in your budget level.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:23 AM

Hi,
I would love to know more about your set-up as it sounds like what I want.
I don't like to quilt with my reg. machine. I have rented time on a long-arm to quilt several small quilts & really love it but I don't think I can justify the big price of that long-arm. I have abt. 14 quilt tops I need to get finished.
Can you write to me off line.
Thanks
Tessa-Rie
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM

That is soooooooo pretty and you did such a great job in the quilting which is what I,m trying to learn.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Good questions! Great answers! Sure to help lots of us who dream of long arming!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM

I ordered my Innova 9 months after I learned to piece, and that was almost 3 years ago. I love the longarm process more than any other part!!! I had my machine set up 1 week when I had my first customer quilt on the frame :shock: and I haven't looked back yet. After 2 years of quilting I did finally take some quilting classes at Quilting with Machines in Huron, Ohio and that was so wonderful!

I love my Innova! Easy to use, 24/7/365 tech support, can use any thread Superior Threads makes as a top thread (even the ones they don't recommend as top thread) and I don't have to match my bobbin thread color to my top thread color, only need to oil in 1 place, fabulous frame with a dead bar so I never have to change the height of my rollers, and 3 active yahoo groups for any question I have. Oh, and it is attractively priced!!!

I would certainly suggest you join all the yahoo groups for any longarm you are thinking of purchasing...you will find the good, the bad and the ugly of the machines. Also check out what Renae Haddadin's article on questions to ask about the longarm you are considering at http://www.quiltsonthecorner.com/ and put "shopping for a longarm" in the search box on the upper right. You "buy" it but it is really free and contains fabulous information that is not directed to a specific brand of longarm.

Also, try out every brand you possibly can. I know that ABM International (located in Houston and makes the Innova) maintains a list of owners who are willing to have interested quilters come and play on their machines. A show is nice but you really don't get much time on the machine. Not every machine is right for every person!

If you have any questions about the Innova, just PM me and I'll be happy to talk with you about it. I am not a dealer or rep, just a very happy owner!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I ordered my Innova 9 months after I learned to piece, and that was almost 3 years ago. I love the longarm process more than any other part!!! I had my machine set up 1 week when I had my first customer quilt on the frame :shock: and I haven't looked back yet. After 2 years of quilting I did finally take some quilting classes at Quilting with Machines in Huron, Ohio and that was so wonderful!

I love my Innova! Easy to use, 24/7/365 tech support, can use any thread Superior Threads makes as a top thread (even the ones they don't recommend as top thread) and I don't have to match my bobbin thread color to my top thread color, only need to oil in 1 place, fabulous frame with a dead bar so I never have to change the height of my rollers, and 3 active yahoo groups for any question I have. Oh, and it is attractively priced!!!

I would certainly suggest you join all the yahoo groups for any longarm you are thinking of purchasing...you will find the good, the bad and the ugly of the machines. Also check out what Renae Haddadin's article on questions to ask about the longarm you are considering at http://www.quiltsonthecorner.com/ and put "shopping for a longarm" in the search box on the upper right. You "buy" it but it is really free and contains fabulous information that is not directed to a specific brand of longarm.

Also, try out every brand you possibly can. I know that ABM International (located in Houston and makes the Innova) maintains a list of owners who are willing to have interested quilters come and play on their machines. A show is nice but you really don't get much time on the machine. Not every machine is right for every person!

If you have any questions about the Innova, just PM me and I'll be happy to talk with you about it. I am not a dealer or rep, just a very happy owner!
Thank you so much for the great info!!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter

I absolutely agree with you. Renae's article also helped me to decide on the Innova as well as the two yahoo groups.

Mine just arrived today and it is fun right from setup. I am going to my dealer's training class in St George a week from Monday. I can't wait. In the meantime, it's fun time!!!

My machine is the largest Innova [26"] with their top of the line stitch regulator (lightening stitch). However, it moves so lightly compared to the Gammill I used to rent time on at my old LQS. I love it! Right now it is for personal use only.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:07 PM

Hi Barb,

Tons of good advice for you here already - try out everything you can, talk to all the LA's you can, find out what they love and what they don't about their systems. LongArmUniversity has a section on questions to ask when researching your purchase, lots of good info! (http://www.longarmuniversity.com)

There are Yahoo discussion groups (Machine Quilting Professional, plus the followers of specific makes) to wade through.

Definitely look at the YouTube videos available - especially by Sharon Schamber, she has some excellent free tutorials on LA techniques. Watch some of Karen McTavish for her techniques, and also be sure to check out Leah Day's blog - she is working on a domestic machine not a long-arm but lots of good ideas for creating designs (http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com).

I've been quilting for a number of years, have been able to do more in the last couple of years. Definitely a fabriholic! Two years ago I purchased the Pfaff GrandQuilter and Imperial frame. The GrandQuilter is a 'mid-arm' - has a 9" harp. I love the frame but was completely frustrated working with the small area. Moved up to a Pfaff 18.8 this spring, and love it.

There aren't any dealers near me who sell anything else! So it was a pretty clear choice - if I wanted service nearby, which I do.

There's also http://www.quiltfrog.com/ in Texas where they have a variety of systems set up, and they do classes. So you'd get to spend some quality time with different systems and would hopefully be able to make a really informed choice. I only wish I was able to do this, never could make it work for me personally.

And then, you might also look at the automated/robotic systems - I got the QBot when I upgraded, and having lots of fun with it! I am doing a variety of freehand, QBot and ruler work on the quilts I'm working with ... having tons of fun!

I'm trying to do some quilting every day, to build the muscle memory to do freehand designs without getting lost. For the days you don't/can't quilt, draw!

For some fun design techniques, check out Zentangles
(http://www.zentangle.com/index.php) - amazingly adaptable to quilting :)

Good luck with your decision!
Cheers,
Linda
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 PM

I had absolutely no expertise in longarm quilting and was very much the beginner as a quilter. I did some research on machines..bought a Gammill 26" Classic + in 2004 and haven't looked back. I was white knuckle for the first few months but soon learned it was a sewing machine..albeit a really big one. I started doing customer quilts after about 3 months..(brave souls they were to trust that I'd not make a disaster of their quilts). I worked hard to learn, read, took classes, practiced and practiced some more. I still love my job, work out of my home (huge cost savings there) and continue to practice (a lot of it by drawing designs I want to perfect over and over again)
I totally love the look on a clients face when she/he sees their quilt after I've completed the quilting. Would I do it again..absolutely.
BUT and it's a big but, if you are considering buying a machine to do the quilting on your own quilts..you can pay a longarm quilter for doing a lot of your quilts when you consider the price of these high end machines. On the other hand, you may want to quilt for others as well as yourself. Do the research, how many other longarm quilters in your area, how many quilt guilds in your area where you may pick up new clients, can you afford to travel to major Machine quilting shows to take classes, are there fabric shops in your area (potential clients there)?
If I had it to do it again, I would not hesitate to buy a well kept used machine, go to those shows and test drive the machines. I was lucky, I got a great machine, have built a good business and after 7 yrs I'm looking forward to another 7 yrs.
Good luck, sorry to be so wordy.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 PM

I just bought the fabric yesterday to make this quilt. You did a great job.