"Frozen Shoulder"

Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
To be honest, I don't know Bueniebabe...it seems to me to not be the same as a torn cuff...but I'm not sure what causes it...or the treatment, other that I saw a suggestion of a cortizone shot + PT.
I thought I had a pinched nerve but when I saw my doctor, it was diagnosed through an MRI as rotator cuff injury. (He wanted to know if I had been in some sort of accident.) Had a few weeks of physical therapy which helped enormously but it's still one of those old-age pains that comes and goes. I can live with that!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:28 AM

I was never a big fan of chiropractors until a friend talked me into seeing hers for the numbness in my hands and the stiffness in my shoulder, but i have been seeing her for over a year now and I have no more numbness and my shoulder (left) is much, much better. I started with three times a week for one month and now I see her about every six weeks or as needed. It has saved my sewing life. I could not even hold fabric in my hands for a while. Worth a try!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
I took PT FOR my frozen shoulder. Plus i had a shot of cortizone. It helped some but I ended up getting this big dog. He yanked on it a few time and you would be surprised how free I can move it now. I have lots of trouble sleeping at night though. Its hard to get comfortable. Besides the other shoulder hurts worse. i have three bone spurs and a torn RC..
My husband had a similar experience. His shoulder froze. The Dr. said it was calcium deposits. He went to PT for months. It gave him some relief, but never enough. Then one day he tripped while walking down a flight of stairs. He held onto the hand rail and it yanked his arm. Something poppred, and he could now move his shoulder with no problems. It hasn't come back and this was at least 5 years agol.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Need to got to Ortho dr and get some PT I had that too! One doctor told me a good one to do! face a inside door in your house and grab the top of the door with that arm and turn slowly to face the other way and do this ever times a day and you will be able to do more as you do them. With in a few days I can see a BIG differance and it went away
Old 08-06-2011, 10:11 AM

I have had 2 episodes of "frozen shoulder", also known as adhesive capsulitis. The first was in my right shoulder about 8 years ago. The latest was in June of 2010 and was in my left shoulder. Both episodes required seeing an ortho doctor for confirmation and then physical therapy for a very long time. The first episode took a year to get back to normal and the second episode took 10 months (and that was with steroid injection into the joint). I would urge you to see the doctor as soon as possible as the longer you wait, the longer it takes to return to normal. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 AM

slow stretches especially after sitting at the computer for a long time and doing the fingers walking up the wall worked best for me. best time for the finger walking is in a hot shower.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Frozen Shoulder is a complication of diabetes.
Are you diabetic??

My sister has this.
Doc told her to use cold & heat alternating.
J J
Old 08-06-2011, 11:43 AM

I had a 'frozen shoulder' years ago. They never knew what caused it but it got to the point I had to have it surgically broken loose. They did not break the shoulder, but just took ahold of the arm and "broke" the shoulder cartlidge(sp) loose. When I woke up it was above my head and I had to leave it that way for 12 hours. It was painful but I have not had any trouble since. I would say "do it" but plan on some pain for awhile afterwards while it all gets back in place. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM

When I had a frozen shoulder it last for almost one year. They can put you out and rotate the shoulder or it can run it's course. My neighbor next door is a Doctor and he told me that once you get it one shoulder you will never have it again in the same shoulder. However, it can happen to the other shoulder. He had it both shoulders and opted for the rotation because of his medical practice. All I know is that it was the most painful experience I have ever had.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM

I had frozen shoulder about eight years ago. Very painful. Doctor sent me to PT for about six weeks, very helpful, but had to continue to do exercises at home. (not diabetic either)