"Frozen Shoulder"

Old 08-06-2011, 02:02 PM

I had bursitis in my shoulder that went into a frozen shoulder. I could not lift my arm fully and had pain. i did PT and had cortisone shot. I now have minimal pain but still some limited movement. still try to do exercises so it doesnot get worse. go to doctor sooner than later before your movement is restricted as you may never fully get it back.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM

This is such a coincidence! I have a torn rotor cuff in my right shoulder and I'm having surgery at the end of the month.. This is the 2nd time I've torn my rotor cuff on the shoulder. I have already tried the shots, therapy and nothing has helped. If you wait too long, they won't be able to help you. You will lose use of your shoulder so go to the Dr. asp!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:05 PM

Charlee, please do see a doc very soon, for a diagnosis, at least. It will give you, if anything, some peace of mind. HUGS !!!! And a speedy recovery.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Find a VERY Good Ortho and get his advice. Some times bursitis is the problem and you tend to baby the shoulder and it becomes frozen. Sometimes shots and PT work. Sometimes it takes the Dr. giving you a knock out shot and breaking it free, then PT.

Don't go to a reg. GP as they don't have the knowledge to work on this type of injury.

Think about how if any that you favored it and after you get your diagnosis--work past it.

Remember the Cortisone shot are usually a short term fix. But if you get them before PT it may help you get better.
Let us know when you go!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge, and your concern for me. :)

I'm not diabetic, but tend to have higher blood sugar, or as some would say, "borderline". (Had a doc tell me once there was no such thing as "borderline diabetic", you either ARE or you AREN'T.)

I promise to go get it checked, (who knows? Dr. Google could be wrong) and I promise to update you when I know for sure what's going on and what's going to happen because of it! :)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
To be honest, I don't know Bueniebabe...it seems to me to not be the same as a torn cuff...but I'm not sure what causes it...or the treatment, other that I saw a suggestion of a cortizone shot + PT.
can be caused from a torn tendon also.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 PM

I have to echo the chiropractor recommendation. I could not raise my right arm to even brush my teeth or brush my hair. Along with the pain, I just could not raise it. I also had numbness and tingling in my right hand and shooting pains through my little finger. Doctor told me it was a rotator cuff injury and the only solution was to have surgery. I definitely didn't want to have surgery so chose to do nothing. A coworker said to call her chiropractor and there was marked improvement after one session with him and after four I could again raise my arm up as far as I wanted, the numbness and tingling as well as the pain in the little finger were gone. I've been free of pain for over a year now and quit seeing the chiropractor about 8 months ago. Unfortunately the numbness and tingling are now back and this time in both hands, so I'll be returning to the chiropractor. Much cheaper to see him than the surgery though.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:12 PM

RenaB said: Go to a massage therapist!! I am a certified / licenses Massage Therapist and have helped many clients with frozen shoulder. It is not comfortable and will take a several visits but in the long run will save you $ and time.

Good Luck!
I second the motion. If the medical field would use massage therapy more, fewer surgeries would be needed. See if you can find one who does "trigger point" and see how much better you will feel. Been there, done that. I am a retired therapist too.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Dh had a "frozen shoulder" and it turned out to be gout. Before you let them cut you open, ask.
Gout is generally in the joints and in the knees and toes. He gets that too, but with the medicine, he does well.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bueniebabe
Originally Posted by Charlee
To be honest, I don't know Bueniebabe...it seems to me to not be the same as a torn cuff...but I'm not sure what causes it...or the treatment, other that I saw a suggestion of a cortizone shot + PT.
I had 2 or 3 cortizone shots before surgery. It gave me relief for awhile. I also had acupuncture. My sister in law is in her early 50's with Parkenson's . She has acupuncture twice a week and milks cows. Both are helping her. Her hands don't shake anymore.
I've also had wonderful results with acupuncture for different problems. Please consider it before having surgery or using drugs.