Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle reminders >

Needle reminders

Needle reminders

Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 AM

I have several different pieces of scrap fabric that I write the size of the needle on. I then attach the needle to it. I always know which size needle is in my machine - just look to see which of my scraps of fabric does not have a needle in it. I also write the date I start using that needle on the fabric as well. When I've written too much on my scrap, I then use it as a starter or ender when I sew.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 AM

I take a tomato pincushion and divide each space vertically with a fabric marker; then I write in each space what size needle goes there. I put one needle in each space; when I remove a needle to put it in my machine, I put a pin in that space so that it indicates which needle is in the machine. It works very well.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 AM

I have the same problem. The post-its work on one of my machines but fall off of the other ones (i hnow have four that I use). I put double sided repositionable tape the machine and put a note with the needle info in it. sometimes the tape is labeled "poster tape" Its non-permanent, sort of like post-its only stronger. When I remove the needle I remove the note too and the tape stays on the machine for the next time. Then I poke the needle through the note with its info on it and put it in a the tray with all of my needles. When the tape looses its sticking power or gets dirty, it comes off with no residue and I put on another piece. I use this for notes about stitch settings when I use decorative stitches too..I can never remember how wide or long I made them.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by janell2009
I am going to watch this thread... I am 51... do the same thing... yes.. I have had a denim needle in when doing embroidery..... I wish I could figure out a way when I take them out of the package to then identify what they are.. Have bifocals and find it too difficult to read what is on the needle.. I have 2 machines so have to be sure and keep them all straight.. UGH...
I do find the trick using a common drinking straw to help remove and put in new needles... you just hold the drinking straw horizontal and push the needle into one side of the straw. Then it has a handle... it is much easier to put it in and I use that to take it out also, just lay drinking straw on the top of the foot and move needle down by hand and pierce thru one side of straw, loosen the screw.. and it comes out with out dropping into the feed dogs.
I didn't know about this, Thanks for sharing! :D
Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 AM

When you finish a project, remove the needle at that time. Then with each project you will have to put a needle in and that is when you would chose the correct needle for the project.

Ha Ha! If I did that, I would NEVER change my needle!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 AM

Hope this attachment works:
I found something like this online- someone had sewn this and labeled it and they put the needles they used in the correct spot. I made this spreadsheet out of it and use a push pin on a bulletin board to indicate which machine has which needle. At some point I do plan to sew this too so that I can put my used needles in the correct spot on it. For now I use a marked tomato for that.
For those without Word, I'm hoping you can get the chart here:
MACHINE NEEDLES 8/60 10/70 11/75 12/80 14/90 16/100
Ballpoint
Denim
Microtex
Stretch
Universal
Quilting
Embroidery
Tostitch
Metallic
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Attachment-237748.zip (10.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
...I need some ideas how to remember which needle I have loaded in my machine. I have tried post-it notes on the front of the machine but I find they fall off too easily. Any suggestions?

Cindy
There are a number of suggestions here ( look under "USED NEEDLES / NEEDLES IN USE" ) :
http://thedomesticdiva.wordpress.com...d-stabilizers/
Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by JeannieT
I keep a spiral notebook on my countertop nearby - I have a page for needles - I write down what date I put the needle in, what type it is and what projects I used it for (some smaller projects don't require a needle change every time but most appliques/quilting do).
I also have a page to track when I last "cleaned" my machine at home. ...
I have a needle book, but I tend to not remove the needle from my machine, because I think that I'll be right back to it. After all, who wants to immediately have to rethread a needle? Then I get delayed and forget what needle is in my machine, in spite of having a nice needle book handy.

I think I'll try your notebook technique, as that does not require me to always remove the needle. I'll still use my needle book, but only when switching to a new needle and the old one is still good. This will also give me a better idea as to how long I've used a given needle -- another thing that is easily forgotten.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Cindy[/quote]
There are a number of suggestions here ( look under "USED NEEDLES / NEEDLES IN USE" ) :
http://thedomesticdiva.wordpress.com...d-stabilizers/[/quote]

Wow, as a newbie I never realized the importance of needle changes! I am soooo embarrassed!

:oops: This link has some wonderful organizational tips I will be putting in place plus the wonderful ideas mentioned in this topic - bookmarked forever! Thank you for all....
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Cotilda sold a needle minder a few years back that sticks on you machine. Plastic about 1.5 inches square with needle sizes and type on it and a little arrows to move to let you know what needle in the machine. I'd be up a creek without it since I can't read the needle anymore either. Do have a jewelers eye piece in my sewing desk drawer in case I do have a needle and don't know it's size. Have never had the arrows slip to another position on me either. Don't know if they still sell it but I sure love mine.