Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 AM

If anyone thinks the prices will go down they are really believers.
Maybe the price will be an incentive to use from our stash.
I hate Walmart but I guess I"ll have to buy from them. There
fabric is quit nice.

Oh to have Woolworth and Newberry Stores back.!!
And for you gals that have to drive 30 plus miles to goto the
store, it must be a real drag. Especially on the gas tank.

Do what you have to do, but keep on making your beautuful
quilts.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 AM

it is a shame that fabris has gotten so costly and all the things that go along with it.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 AM

I was in out local WalMart Saturday and was told that they are putting up the cutting tables, yea, I hope the fabric is reasonable and good.
I shop at Hancocks due to the 40% coupons and they honor Joann's coupons. We have a Joann's 90 miles away.
Our local quilt shop has nice fabric but too expensive
Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
If they don't raise the price on what they have in stock, they won't be able to afford to replace it when it's gone.

Fabric is getting pricey but there are deals still to be had all over the place if you look. I pay top dollar for special purchases and find ways to cut costs on the rest.
YES......this is the truth about retail business, and a fact many who have never run a business before simply do not understand. While the stock on the shelves may have been purchased 6 months ago, the only way a retail business can replace what has been sold is to do an "across the board" increase on all stock, not just new inventory. When the owner goes to order new inventory, and her costs may have risen to purchase said new inventory, without the price increase on current stock, she will not be able to pay for new inventory when that bill comes due within thirty days after her receiving it. (called net thirty days....the way most business accounts are set up. And if the the bill is not paid, interest accrues and the owner cannot order more inventory until this bill is paid)

This is a frustrating situation for the consumer, no doubt, but as JulieR said, look for the specials and deals out there...there are plenty to be had. And try to understand what the business owner is having to do, usually with trembling and fear of losing customers (something she can't afford to do), when she is forced, by the costs of doing business, to raise prices on current inventory. Most business owners hate to do this, but see no other way to continue to purchase new lines of merchandise, and still pay the overhead costs of staying in business. Raising the cost of current inventory is, usually, NOT something a business owner does just to "gouge" the public, "get rich", cheat the consumers, or make sure their own personal salary (IF they can even afford to take an "owner's draw) gets a "cost of living" increase.....most of them HATE to do this......but see no other way.......

Refusing to shop at a store that has done this (and truly I am thinking of and referring to the LQS, not big chain stores), just hurts you, hurts that business, and hurts the local economy.....for our small business owners ARE the backbone of this country, and one of the key ingredients in the standard of living we have all enjoyed for most of our lives.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 AM

I agree, the prices have gone almost out of reach unless it's a real necessity. But, the price of everythin has gone up. I think a lot of us will be returning to the roots of dquilting and using what is available-old clothing and such. Personally, I'm fine with that.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 AM

I've been noticing that around SE MI shops too. Even Joann's fabric has gone up a little.

That's why I've been buying a lot of my fabric at fabric.com. still good quality at a fair price.

I do have a LQS that offers 25% off for cuts at least 1/2 yard so shop there on a regular basis. She had to stop accepting credit cards though because their fees had gotten so ridiculous. That's the only way she could maintain the discount. She has a small shop behind her house but lots of nice fabrics so paying cash is ok with me.

Also, a good time to use up that stash.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 AM

I live on a tiny island in the middle of the Caribbean ocean. I am sure this makes you jealous but when it comes to fabric we have only the internet to order from and hope that colors match or go together, wait up to a month or more to receive it and then pay huge shipping costs. I agree that fabric is expensive but there is nothing like the feel and smell of new fabric which will become a forever keepsake!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 AM

I agree with all of you. I talked to a store owner not too long ago and she was telling me that she must pay for her inventory up front! She can't order it and then pay like she use to years ago. She was complaining about the prices and she didn't know how much longer she would be able to keep her store. She has had her store for almost 25 years and the changes she has seen is unbeliveable! Theis economy is sure rotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:10 AM

So far our local W. Mart and Ben Franklin stores are pretty reasonable. They have gone up some but not the prices I am reading about on this site. The quilting I do is with my Church group of Prayers and Squares. We make and dedicate lap quilts for seriously ill and disabled people. We work on donations only. So far our head is above water so to speak but if prices go up like has been quoted we won't be able to buy fabric.
I find that Ben Franklin has pretty good quilting fabric and W. Mart fabric is fairly decent.

Doris1334
Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
I went to a local fabric store yesterday to pick up my pattern book. Every three or four yiears I buy their old pattern books when they get the new ones in. I was so upset at the prices of material. I refuse to pay 12.00 a yard. Most of the quilting fabric was 10.00 and UP, ultra suede was .45 cents and INCH. Needless to say, I walked out without buying anything. Just venting.
I would have done the same thing! I refuse to pay those prices. I've been buying my fabric, thread, etc, online. (I like connectingthreads.com and fabric.com) I've even stopped shopping at Joann's...their prices are going up and quality way down.