Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal
and to add to it, my Joann's store use to let you use more than 1 coupon a day. Now they don't even let you make seperate purchases one after the other using a coupon on each. The gal told me one coupon per patron a day! Whats the difference if I got ten ppl to buy things using coupons or I stood through 10 transactions? Go figure!
That must be the store manager's decision.

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
What I don't understand is why I can buy 5 pack of Fiscar 45 mm rotary blades for 15.99 at Walmart and the SAME pack of blades cost 25.99 at Joann.
Purchasing power. Wholesalers rank their accounts. Premium accounts get better prices than net accounts. The head buyer orders from the manufacturer and the store orders from the head buyer. If the store tried to order from the manufacturer the price would be higher.
For example 100,000 @ $1.00 vs 100 @ $1.50
Walmart can also afford to work off a minute profit margin because of their high volume -- most stores need to mark up their items a great deal more - but Walmart can work off a 2% mark up because they sell $millions everyday
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM

We consider $10/yard a real bargain! We are paying $18/meter at our LQS. Can't afford to buy much fabric in Canada. Can't wait to get back to Arizona in October & take advantage of the fabric prices there. We're better off to buy on line & pay for shipping than to shop our LQS.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 AM

Funny I remember people giggling at me for purchasing fabric that I had "no clue" what I was going to do with it. Now I have yards and yards and yards of "stash" and I don't have to buy to make whatever quilt I want to. Good quality fabrics all from quilt shops. Good investment I now think.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Our local quilt store did the same thing. They even raised the original price on the "back room" discount fabric in the store. Fabric that once sold for $7.99 or $8.99 a yard, with 50% off on fabric in the "Back Room" is now $11.99 with 30% off. I have been a frequent shopper in the store for several years, so recognized many of their fabrics as having been on the shelves 2 years or more.

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Our LQS has only raised the prices on the fabrics that are new coming in but the next city over I notied last week her new fabrics are $12 so she's raised the older still in stock up to the same price. I will not buy from her aaain. I understand the prices went up on cotton so they have to raise but that bolt you bought 6 months ago did not go up in costs.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 AM

get a friend 2 go 2 hobby lobby with u. give them money and coupon, that way u won't have 2 drive back the next day. i did it.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Even the discount fabric store that I usually go to has raised their prices so much that I don't think it's worth the drive anymore. Not with the cost of gasoline.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:31 AM

I loved Woolworths..great store full of everything. We had one in Downtown St. Louis and I used to go on my lunch hour.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 AM

don't go to Canada fabric is 17 to 18 dollars a meter which is just 3 inches bigger than a yards
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by countrycottage
Our local quilt store did the same thing. They even raised the original price on the "back room" discount fabric in the store. Fabric that once sold for $7.99 or $8.99 a yard, with 50% off on fabric in the "Back Room" is now $11.99 with 30% off. I have been a frequent shopper in the store for several years, so recognized many of their fabrics as having been on the shelves 2 years or more.

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Our LQS has only raised the prices on the fabrics that are new coming in but the next city over I notied last week her new fabrics are $12 so she's raised the older still in stock up to the same price. I will not buy from her aaain. I understand the prices went up on cotton so they have to raise but that bolt you bought 6 months ago did not go up in costs.
I just mentioned this very thing to my friend. I went to a small rural shop that is really a shop that bought out another shop and then opened as a NEW shop 2 years later. So some of her fabrics are up to 5+ years old! What she sold for $5.98 just 2 months ago is not priced at $9.98-$14.98! SHe raised all of that OLD stock to meet the new stock prices...

Then she complained that business has dropped off by 50% since our shop hop in June...I asked her when did she raise her prices, she said July 1st....DUH....
Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 AM

I remember reading an article a few months ago that the prices were going up due to weather conditions all over the world. Here is another article on it: http://news.yahoo.com/spike-cotton-p...160432970.html

Unfortunately, it is the trickle down effect and like someone else said, the LQS's are not volume buyers, but even the big buyers are raising prices. That said there are still sources, especially online, that have good sales.